Hard lump under chin, soft poop as well?

Gracemackenz

Post   » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:12 pm

My Guinea pig Rosie is a few months old, and I noticed a hard lump about the size of a grape under her chin. She seems to be energetic and her happy self, but I can't help but worry. I also noticed just today that her poop is very soft and sticky? Some liquid also came out with it.. Here's some images:
IMG_9877.jpeg
IMG_0835.JPG

I don't know if they'll show or not, but I'm so scared it's something serious! My family can't afford much, and we want to avoid surgery.. My mom thinks we'd have to put her down, but I really don't want to do that, seeing as she's only a few months old.

Does anyone know what it could be? I have a vet appointment on Thursday, but I'm really curious and scared.Image

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:47 pm

It's possibly cervical lymphadenitis. See https://www.guinealynx.info/lumps.html for more information.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:26 pm

Meanwhile, start weighing her daily. Read www.guinealynx.info/.html and www.guinealynx.info/.html

If your pictures are crisp and clear, you can email them to me. Click on the REPLY link for my address. Include your board name and a link to your thread.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:39 pm

I don't know if this would help at all, but the lump is under her skin...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:26 am

If it's in her dewlap, more likely to be something like cervical lymphadenitis, as bpatters mentions.

Here are your pics. I think the liquid with the poop is just urine:

Gracemackenz

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:33 am

This is a stupid question, but what's dewlap?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:28 pm

Gracemackenz

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:23 pm

Thank you! And I saw her poop; it wasn't coming from the dewlap..

Gracemackenz

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:47 pm

Sorry! I didn't read that thoroughly! The lump is in her dewlap..

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:10 am

Does the lump appear to be getting larger?

It's possible it's a harmless fatty lipoma: those often form in the dewlap, but usually on older pigs.

Please make sure the vet you take her to is cavy-knowledgeable. Most neighborhood dog/cat vets aren't. Guinea pigs, rabbits, and other small mammals are known as 'exotics' in vetspeak, and their care requires specialized training and knowledge that the vast majority of 'normal' vets don't have.

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=251

http://www.exoticpetvet.com/

Please keep us posted on how she's doing.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:57 pm

From what I can feel, it seems the same size, maybe even a little smaller because her skin is now looser in that area. The vet is specialized in Guinea pigs and other small animals, so I think it should be okay. I will update you on what it is tomorrow or Friday, because her appointment is tomorrow. Thank you so much for all your help! I'm hoping what she has will end up being harmless.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:16 pm

I just felt it again and it doesn't seem any bigger. She hasn't lost any weight either..