Hard lump under chin, soft poop as well?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:09 am

Chasing is NOT a reason to separate. You need to separate only if they're turning into rolling, biting balls of fur.

Take a chill pill and try again. But let them alone to work it out. The more you interefere, the worse it will be for them and the longer it will take.

Guinea pigs are wired to establish dominance, and if you want them to live together, you've got to let them do it. If you wanted something that would play together at first introduction, you needed puppies.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:18 pm

JJ keeps chasing Rosie out of the little house in the cage.. Should I rave that be? Apparently that's normal for them to do so I don't know. Sorry I'm so clueless about this stuff

Gracemackenz

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:19 pm

Sorry - leave, not rave

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:24 pm

See my post just before yours. Chasing is NOT a reason to separate.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:21 am

How many little houses do you have for them? I have two sows. They are sisters and are now over five years. Zoe started chasing Abbey out of the houses at five weeks old. I added more houses and two of everything.

If my girls are having a very bad day I put them in their floor time area. Zoe soon gets tired of chasing Abbey in the large area and Abbey has lots of space to get away from her. When I put them back in their cage they are tired and content.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Ditto the advice you've received.

You have to let them work it out. Chasing, growling, noseoffs, mounting (yes, even for females), getting in each others' faces is normal. Only separate if there is actual biting, going for each other's eyes, or they turn into a rolling ball of fighting fur.

We have 2 females in a 2x5 C&C, with 3 water bottles, 2 pellet dishes, multiple hay piles and 5 hide boxes, and they still occasionally fuss at each other. That's normal.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:04 pm

In the play pen, I have one house out, and I leave the cage open too. There's another house in the cage, so I count it as two.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:40 pm

How big is their normal cage?

Gracemackenz

Post   » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:45 pm

About 3 feet by 2 feet. I let them play in the hallway for a few hours a day to make up for the smallish cage.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:59 am

They'll fuss a lot less if you can give them more space. A 2x4 C&C cage is roughly 2 1/2 feet by 5 feet. That's the minimum they really need.

Extra outside exercise runaround time is great, but it'll help keep them from fussing if they can run around when they feel like it rather than on your schedule.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:22 am

Ok. I'll keep that in mind and buy another cage or make one soon. My mother has a concern though, and now I'm worried as well. Rosie doesn't sleep inside the house at all, always outside. There's plenty of room for both of them to be in there comfortably, but every time Rosie tries to go in there, JJ "kicks" her out. Throughout the night, we also hear loud screeches (I don't know if that's what you'd call it) from Rosie.

I don't know if it's a dominance thing from JJ, but I kind of feel bad for Rosie. Is it still part of the introducing type of thing? They've been in the same cage for about 3 weeks now, so I'm not really sure what to think about the situation...

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:30 am

Rosie needs a house too. Make sure there are two openings in each house. All Zoe has to do is stand outside Abbey's house and stare at her and Abbey let's out a shriek. Abbey knows I will come and save her from her evil sister.