Hard lump under chin, soft poop as well?

Gracemackenz

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:28 pm

Ok. I'm going to be quarantining them for now, to be safe and to let them get used to the new environment. They're in a 2x5 for now.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:49 am

Has JJ been checked for any physical problems? If she's just suddenly started being aggressive after being sociable for a while, she may have some hidden problem such as ovarian cysts (just an example off the top of my head). Before taking the drastic step of separating them, I'd have her checked by a qualified exotics vet to make sure she's healthy.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:42 am

No she hasn't. I'll put that into consideration, but she always has been very very dominant. It's to the point that I think Rosie is kind of sad or something. I haven't even thought of it being a physical problem..

I think I'm going to introduce all the pigs in a week or two and see what happens (JJ being nicer, not being as dominant towards Rosie, etc.). I know that's risky if it could be a physical problem, but I just want to rule out all the other options before spending money on something that could potentially be nothing but behavioral problems.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:54 am

I see what you're saying and understand your logic. With guinea pigs, though, in general that's reversed.

You want to ensure there are no physical problems before assuming it's behavioral, because as prey animals guinea pigs are wired by nature not to overtly show physical distress lest they be more likely to be eaten.

My $0.02.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:01 pm

I'm holding one of my new pigs (her name is penny), and I noticed something weird about her fur/skin around her butt. The fur kind of comes out in chunks, and it looks really dry or something on the base of the fur. I don't know what it could be, I'll add pictures once I figure out how to.. I forgot how to add pictures, sorry

I don't know if it could of been from what happened to her before she lived with a foster family (I don't know her back story), or mites maybe?

Gracemackenz

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:49 pm

Sorry for the double post again, but we are arranging an appointment to see if penny has mites. If she does, we are going to treat nickel as well (our other new pig).

I read the link about mites, and it says that misdiagnosis is common. I was wondering if that's the case and if I wanted to get ivermectin or another medication to get rid of the mites, does it require a prescription? Or can I just buy it at the pet store?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:44 pm

Don't let a vet do a skin scraping for mites. It's very painful for the pig, misses the mites half the time, and the end result is the same -- treat the pig for mites. Treat all your pigs, in fact. But why do you even think they have mites?

The loss of fur is as likely to be a fungus as it is to be mites, especially if the hair is coming out in chunks.

See www.guinealynx.info/.html for the shampoos you can use to treat fungus. You can order the ivermectin from Amazon -- this is what you want:

Here are the directions for treating with that ivermectin: www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin_pour-on.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:30 pm

Both mites and fungus are very common. A guinea pig may have both problems.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:39 pm

I've just been reading up on the signs of mites, and penny has all of them. Excessive itching, dandruff looking skin, loss of hair... I'd rather it be a fungal infection, but I won't know until we go to the vet.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:56 am

Honestly -- if it were me I'd treat for mites myself, first; then treat for fungal, myself, first, before going to a vet.

Normally we will encourage vet visits here for any question or issue that may be serious. Mites and fungal problems, though, are so common, and the materials needed for treatment so readily available, that I'd treat myself first and save your vet fund money, the stress on the pig, and the stress on you.

Treat for mites first. If after a full course of mite treatment the issues haven't fully resolved, then treat for fungal.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:13 am

Ditto Talishan.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:53 pm

So we're at the vet right now.. nickel has a little abscess and penny has something to do with the scent glands? Thank gosh it's not mites or anything too serious. The vet said what penny has is very easy to take care of. They're doing a tape test on penny, I think that's better than a skin scraping.