Xander - inconsistent poos

kthomp66

Post   » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:03 pm

So I too Xan back in to Doc Collins yesterday because he had what looked like a more liquid diarrhea. Like if I hadn't paid atenention, I'd have thought it was just dark urine diarrhea.
We started SMZ during the time of my last post, which wasn't enough to get him over the hump of the infection, so then we started SMZ with metoclopramide for five days. He was fine for about six days after coming off of it, and that's when the liquid started. He makes formed poops, but there's also the liquid.
Doc told us it could be a UTI, depending on where its coming from, and to monitor for the weekend and give left over antibiotic if his poops started to stop forming again, but that I should be giving probiotic after two hours of administering antibiotic. She also said the probiotic may need to be continued long term. Well tonight they went back to mush. I'm a bit impressed with the lil guy though, because his appetite and water intake are still where they need to be. He also doesn't appear to be gassy or in pain at all. He has actually been pretty active the last few days, especially when we went to the vet.
He's currently at 1,024g in weight, which is about 10 more than his previous visit in June/July. Prior to the new flare up, he has been sitting around 1,200.
My question is, how long is too long to be giving these guys antibiotics? I trust my vet, but I'm a little concerned about long term use of antiobiotics on him. They worked before, but it's almost like the strain is building up a resistance or something. She said the next step would be to try a different antibiotic, but I can't remember the name of it. She said though, they use it for UTI's in them.

kthomp66

Post   » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:19 pm

Also, does anyone know if it's good/bad/doesn't matter that i give them tap water? would it be worth it to try giving them purified or spring or something? i feel like i'm grasping at straws here, i just need the little guy to get better again haha

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:02 am

The only thing that should keep tap water from being usable is if it contains too much calcium. Your local water utility should be able to tell you how much it has.

Long-term antibiotic use isn't necessarily a problem. A pig can have problems with antibiotics immediately after taking the first dose. So if the medicine can be tolerated for a normal course, a longer one may not be a problem.

kthomp66

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:47 pm

it’s with a sad and heavy heart i tell you guys tonight that my little xander boy didn’t make it tonight. i’m not entirely sure what even happened. I left for work this morning around ten and he seemed completely fine. he was alert and waiting for his hay this morning. i came home from work at around 8, and he was very rigid and bloated. i pulled him from the cage and sat with him for about 30-45 minutes and he just got even worse. it was almost like he was having little seizures or something because he would shake for around 20-30 seconds, then stop for about 2-3 minutes and start again. i didn’t take him to the ER because i knew in my gut he wouldn’t make the hour drive. i don’t really understand how or why he got sick so suddenly unless i completely missed something.
i’m also unsure if i should get another for companionship with spike. spike was very attached to xander so i don’t know if going without a cage mate will help or hurt him.
anyhow, thank you all so much for your valuable input and support over the time i’ve had him.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:59 pm

I'm so sorry you lost him.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:15 pm

I am so sorry you lost him, kthomp66.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:29 am

I'm so sorry for your loss.

47 posts