Xander - inconsistent poos

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:33 am

Has he ever had an xray? (not rereading) It sounds like something more could be going on with him. Ask your vet if there could be a concurrent issue you are both missing.

kthomp66

Post   » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:16 am

He has never had one before, not since I've had him anyway. We discussed them at the ER, but I ended up declining them.
Xander has done a complete 180 by the looks of him. Doctor put him on TMZ mixed with 5mg of reglan, 0.5cc twice a day for five days, and then if it seems like he's cleared up but poops are still mucous-y, then 5 more days of just TMZ.
I gave him his first dose before work yesterday, and by 8 when I got home, there was an insane amount of poop. Some normal, some irregular, but I think it flushed his system. He is eating like crazy, discharge from his eyes is gone, running around his cage like a wild man, and very very perky now.
I also think part of the issue was the food change. He was on Wild Harvest GP food when I got him, then switched to store brand slowly, then I made the mistake of giving Oxbow when he got sick and he wouldn't touch it. Sure as crap, I bought more Wild Harvest and he's eating completely normal again. I also added a small bit of orange to his and little man's diet for the vitamin C, plus liquid supplement.
Fingers crossed, and hopefully not speaking too soon, but it seems like he's okay for now.
Thanks again everyone. :)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:05 pm

That is very good news! I hope he continues to do well and eat lots. Do aim at converting to a better diet - I guess, more gradually.

gl/fave.html

kthomp66

Post   » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Thank you! I'm hoping to get him back on the oxbow within the month, but for now my aim is just getting him to eat. Probably next week i'll start mixing in the Oxbow slowly. i really don't like the wild harvest. too many weird colored things and seeds. i really hate that there aren't many treats for the little ones that don't have dyes or seeds and whatever else in it. Spike will also be switching to oxbow shortly here, as well.

kthomp66

Post   » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:21 am

So we have had two days of some pretty decent poops. They look a little shiny, but the consistency is pretty decent. I discontinued the TMZ and the metacam completely because I was dosing him every other day with metacam (a little less than .1cc), and the off days his poops were normal but the on days they were loose. We've started a probiotic with baby food (a rotation of apple, squash, and banana).
He's still consuming tons of hay, drinking normally, and eating his pellets normal as well. I've also reintroduced lettuce and small amounts of fruits every 48 hours, which so far, hasn't made a huge change. I've given very small amounts of pear, and also very small bites of banana (no more than 1/4" I'd say.)
Prepping for possibly one more vet visit because the pain in his stomach has me worried. It's in his lower abdomen, and it feels kind of hard, but it doesn't sound hollow when I tap. He doesn't like me handling him and runs off when I try to take him out. It doesn't feel like there is anything hard in there, tumor-wise. I'm wondering is it's simply some painful gas, because one day he's a little plumper than normal, but when he runs he shrinks down a little. I do notice though, his sides bulge out a bit when he walks. I may need to really consider x-rays, though my personal vet has yet to recommend them.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:12 am

I would skip apple and banana baby food and only use squash (more fiber, less sugar) if you use any baby food at all. Aim more at vegetables and pass on the fruits. That he is eating lots of hay is a very good sign.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:14 pm

Skip the fruits, including the baby food fruits. Sugar al by itself can cause digestive problems.

I'd skip all veggies until the poop normalizes, then introduce one at a time, 48 hours in between each one, and see if you can identify which one causes the problem.

kthomp66

Post   » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:21 pm

So we made another trip to the vet, not our primary, but the same branch. Doc did a poop exam under the microscope a d found the poor guy has C. diff. My mind is actually blown right now. i had no clue these guys could get that.
Airway, we're doing a mix of TMZ and metronidazole, .4 cc once a day for ten days. he seemed pretty sure it should help get it back on track, but also said it could be a chronic condition. as far as cause goes, neither of us could pinpoint it. he said since he is a rescue, it could have been something his previous owner/vet gave. Fingers crossed this works.

kthomp66

Post   » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:47 pm

Upon reading in the medical areas of the site, I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with Bio-Sponge? Is it worth trying, or should I consult my vet first?
Spike appears very well and is thriving, so would it be beneficial to feed Xander some of his poops? I read on an outside source about transfaunation. Maybe I should call my vet tomorrow and find out... They didn't say at the other how advanced it was in him, but now I'm curious since it's gone on for so long.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:17 pm

Poop soup wouldn't hurt, and might help.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:15 am

A fecal analysis would tell you if there was an overgrowth of bad bacteria, in which case the Bio-sponge might help.

kthomp66

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:55 pm

The vet said he saw a lot of long rod-like bacteria in the sample he took which is what lead him to believe it was c. diff. i just ordered the 60cc syringe of bio sponge because the poop soup was not a hit...not that i really expected him to be thrilled about eating spike'a watery poo, but the poor fuy's face when i did it was awful. :/ it should be in by next week, with any luck.
nothing really seems to be working at this point, though his appetite and drinking habits are still fantastic. the stools started to reform last night and took the pellet shape, but were still extremely mushy. we have five more doses of antibiotic, and continuing probiotic with lots of floor time. my vet said it wasn't mandatory to keep the two separated for play time, so i let them play together for a while in the bedroom with the cages put outside. i watch them closely to make sure spike isn't eating xander's poop and clean it up immediately. it seems to be helping the lethargy in xan because spike won't let him lie down when they're out. i'm not housing them together, though, and have been keeping objects they could get territorial over out of play time.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:57 pm

I hope it helps.

kthomp66

Post   » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Thank you guys.

I was wondering now, how stressful is it to move guinea pigs? My boyfriend and I are moving into a house, and I want to make it as easy a transition for my two as possible. Anyone have any advice? Anything I should avoid doing?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:23 pm

It's no worse than taking them to the vet.

kthomp66

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:34 am

Random update:
Xander has had a good 8 month run with minimal flare ups, but he recently started showing symptoms again of his GI issue. I'm starting him on .2cc of biosponge 4-5 times a day until Friday, with baby food to coax him into taking it. Overall hes still very active, his appetite is great, and his water intake is all normal. If the biosponge doesn't do its job, we'll be visiting our favorite vet for a fecal smear and some antibiotics. I'm not really sure what's caused the random flare up. We've made no sudden changes, and I monitor their diet. I tried these new Oxbown digestive support treats, though, so i'm wondering if that's what did it. A bit ironic really, but I guess that just goes to show don't fix what's not broken.

Not really seeking information, more like a moral support post. :)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:05 am

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)

Moral support: you're doing the right things -- and your gut hunches, intuitions, perceptions and judgments are solid.

Once a pig has had a significant GI problem (stasis/ileus/bloat) and has recovered, they remain a bit more susceptible/sensitive to another down the road. For those pigs in particular, once you find what works for them, stick with it and don't vary it.

It sounds boring (and probably is), but those pigs sometimes can be set off by a treat, supplement or new fruit or veggie that wouldn't bother another pig. This has happened several times at our house and while it's kind of sad for the pig, stick to the basics of what works for that individual. Bored is better than sick -- and in my experience as long as it's food they don't seem to much care.

kthomp66

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:56 am

We're leaving the vet now. Dr. Collins was really only concerned because his formed poops were more mucoid that normal, but she thinks we're catching the tail end of the problem. ashe gave us TMZ, .35cc twice a day or five days, and if that doesn't help then they're going to give us the TMZ mixed with the other antibiotic (i can't remember the name of it, but it's bitter). She thinks though that since Ive been doing biosponge that it helped and this should be okay.
Xan looks tired, but for the most part he's perky. Water and food instake are still good.
Thanks talishan! i think you're right. it's like a mothers intuition lol. I'm going to remove all foods except hay, pellets and romaine. Better safe than sorry. :)

kthomp66

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:04 pm

while i'm thinking of it, is it possible grass from the yard could upset his stomach? sometimes i put them outside when i clean their cage.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Not the grass, but something on the grass, is entirely possible. A random microbe from a random wild rabbit, for example -- not a certain diagnosis of course, but possible.

If your yard is not treated with any herbicides or pesticides, and no neighborhood dogs/cats can get to it, you'll generally be okay, but in nature, random stuff can happen.

47 posts