Help: Oliver's digestive problems

elenaanele

Post   » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi, my name is Elena and I would like to share my little Oliver's digestive problem just in case someone has experienced a similar problem and can provide any help.
I adopted Oliver 3 years ago, after a year together he got a gas problem, a really hard one, the vet thought he was going to die. After hospitalization, medicines etc.. he recovered. In this occasion the vet felt a kind of heart murmur but it was not felt again in the following revisions.
At about half a year later he got the same problem. Gas, a lot of gas.... hospitalization and treatment. In this case he came home after some days at the vet and the he got diarrhea and he was hospitalized again...
The after 4 months the same.... there was a moment in which my poor baby got the same problem every two months.
We started to get desperate but at the same time my other guinea pig suffered from mammal cancer... there were two horrible months ending with him passing away.... something that added stress to Oliver.
He was with medication but when he saw me putting away my other guinea pig's toys and things he got diarrhea again.
As he was really depressed I decided to foster a little piggie and it is true that his mood is better. I havent started socialization yet but they see each other and talk
He has been with Ranitidine for over a month and Primperan (Metoclopramide) and he still has had some gases episodes. Now every 2 weeks. He got an ecocardio two weeks ago and they saw his liver was congested, a symptom for heart disease and we started to vetmedin. yesterday the ecocardio was repeated and the liver and heart were great.
Two days ago he started feeling bad again so yesterday apart from the cardio the vet checked him. He got a temperature, kind of diarrhea, he didn't want to eat and he was down. The vet changed the medicines to Citotec (misoprostol ) and copinal (Acexamato de zinc). Veraflox (Pradofloxacino) was also added as the vet noticed the bacteria in the poo was weird meaning his intestinal flora was not in its best condition.

Also, he cannot eat fresh veggies but only hay and animal feed in this case Selective.

The vet thinks this time he must have a kind of food intolerance. This time there was no gas in his intestine. BTW the gas is always in his caecum (blind gut).

I and the vet are a little lost. He is still down but we decided not to hospitalizing him this time as he would be better at home. He eats hay from time time and drinks some water.

Any similar experience or any help?

Thanks for reading!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:52 pm

I am unfamiliar with Citotec (misoprostol ), copinal (Acexamato de zinc), and Veraflox (Pradofloxacino).

Misoprostol appears to be an abortion drug (perhaps has other uses). Can't really figure out what the copinal is used for, and Pradofloxacino seems to be an antibiotic related to enrofloxacin.

I encourage you to read over gl/emergency.html#bloat and follow the links.

I am sorry you lost Oliver. If it was a mammary tumor he had, these are often successfully removed surgically.

gl/tumor_mammary.html

elenaanele

Post   » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:17 am

Before posting I checked the section thanks. Some years ago a friend recommended mi this site and I checked it for any doubt.
Oliver is the one with the digestive problem. The medicines I mentioned are kind of stomach protectors, sorry I am not familiar with chemistry not even in my native language so I can say no more.
Waldemar, the one who passed away due to breast cancer, had the surgery and all but unfortunately he couldn't make it :(

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2018

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:54 am

I’m a little familiar with Veraflox since my vet prescribed it for my Fluffy. I was told it was in the same class as Baytril which is a common guinea pig antibiotic. Fluffy was given Veraflox for a urinary tract infection because my vet did not have liquid Baytril. It did cause her to have loose stools but them firmed up after several weeks of poop soup. Can you add a probiotic while Oliver is on the Veraflox? I hope you can get to the bottom of what is wrong with Oliver.

I couldn't quite tell from your post -- he is getting more than hay and water, right? You are force feeding him some type of mushed pellets or something similar to Critical Care?

elenaanele

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:57 am

I will ask about to probiotic next Wednesday at the vet.
And yes basically he is eating hay and some feed (hard one) but he'd rather go for hay... I asked if i should give him Oxbow Critical Care as heis loosing some weight but I was told not to. His poo is still bad...
The vet told me not to give him fresh vegetables.
But little by little he is feeling better.

Thanks!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:17 am

Read over gl/diarrhea.html too. Eating hay is one of the best things he can do. You also need to weigh him daily and yes, should feed Critical Care if he is losing weight.

gl/handfeeding.html

elenaanele

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:50 am

Thanks. I called the vet and told me not to give critical care yet.... So I am waiting. Oliver is doing better and the poo is harder.... he is eating hay and feed... and drinking lots of water.

Lilpiggyplaypen

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:45 pm

I had a piggy with digestion issues and it helped a bunch to drum on his tummy with your fingers like you would a table or download a vibration app on your phone wrap it in a towel and place it under his tummy the vibrations would help release pent us gases and even poops he would get diarrhea if we were doing it too little but it was like magic for him.. Just a word of warning you may hear his toots and it can get pretty smelly but if it works who are we to complain :) I hope this helps!!

elenaanele

Post   » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:04 am

Aw! Thanks! :D

Lilpiggyplaypen

Post   » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:11 am

Of course! Best of luck to you and little oliver!!?

Phantomhorse

Post   » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:59 pm

Not reading back, have you given Fauna Flora or Cisapride (Propulsid) I have used both and they are outstanding for the digestive tract, and 90% of the time, get things moving again!

kimmikat6487

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:05 pm

Hi! I know this is a year old, but do you remember the dosage the vet prescribed for your piggie? I can't find any info anywhere.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:10 pm

The dosage of what? There are half a dozen or more meds mentioned on this thread.

kimmikat6487

Post   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:21 am

Oh sorry!! The veraflox (pradofloxacin)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:19 am

I don't know what the dosage should be. Googling it turns up several references to it being given to guinea pigs, but doesn't say what the dose was.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2018

Post   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:59 am

When my guinea pig Fluffy was prescribed Veraflox, the dose was .25 mL twice a day of oral suspension 2.5%. She was probably just under 900 grams at the time. The Veraflox gave her mushy poos. I recommend giving a probiotic after the Veraflox.

16 posts • Page 1 of 1