Broken leg?

Nannub

Post   » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi,

My guinea pigs had to move to my fiance's house because I'm currently living in California and will be moving to Montana with him in a few months. So he's currently taking care of my pigs.
Yesterday, he mentioned one of my pigs, Victoria, walked "funny" for a little bit and then walked/ran just fine so we didn't give much thought to this. Today when he came home from work he took a pigdeo for me and showed me that at veggie time she didn't want to come out but when she did she was walking funny, limping, and then she walked "normal" but kinda limping. He picked her up and checked her back feet and saw a bruise on one of them.

He then remembered that 2 days ago my other pig, her cagemate, Nami, another female, was trying to hump her and we thought they were in heat but didn't think much of it. It happens often.

Yes, they're both females and they've been together for over a year now. They currently live in a 2x5. Will attach pictures of my pig's leg and a video of her walking.
She has a vet appointment tomorrow at 4.40pm.
I appreciate any information anyone can give me about this. I'm obviously extremely worried about my little girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUr6MYDHUO4

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:46 pm

You posted this on GPC, along with a picture of bumblefoot. Why didn't you post the bumblefoot picture here? It's just as likely to be the cause of the problem as any damage the other one might have caused.

Nannub

Post   » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:56 pm

I posted the link to the picture because I'm not sure how to upload it. Here it is.

@bpatters

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:18 pm

OK, I see it. Thanks.

See www.guinealynx.info/.html for more information.
Last edited by bpatters on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:18 pm

If there is a sprain or bruise or injury of that sort, sometimes restricting movement can help things heal.

Let us know what the vet says. I can add your foot image to your thread if you wish. If you have another one showing the bottom of the foot, that could be helpful also.

Nannub

Post   » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:27 pm

I don't have another picture of the bottom of the foot. I'd appreciate you adding the picture to the post for future reference. My boyfriend will take her to the vet tomorrow and I'll be updating this post as soon as we have an idea of what's going on. She's eating/pooping as usual just resting more. We're hoping is something fixable.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:30 am

Here you go:

Nannub

Post   » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:22 pm

UPDATE: We're back from the vets. No broken leg just soft tissue swollen. She's on Metacam for a week. If there's no improvement by Friday we have to call the vet and take her in again but she should be feeling better soon. She's eating and pooping as usual so that's great and her weight is okay. She's already moving around. We have to keep the cage divided for a few days until she feels better.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:22 pm

I hope she heals well. It is reassuring to find there are no broken bones.

Nannub

Post   » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:06 pm

Today is day 6 of Metacam. We made an appointment with the vet for tomorrow at 4.20pm. Even though we've seen some improvement she's still not putting weight on that leg at all. She gets better a few hours after she takes the medication but by next morning before the medication she's barely moving. She's still eating, pooping, drinking water and alert as usual, she's just uncomfortable because her leg probably still hurts. She moves to her hay pile, tunnel, and water bottle. Not sure if she'll get more medication or a change to a different pain relief medicine.

Yesterday, was the first day after the leg injury that she went to the side of the cage for her Oxbow tabs. She didn't stand up like she usually does but she was definitely alert and wheeking to get one. So that's keeping our hopes up! She's a positive pig and we believe she'll get better.

She's currently taking .3ml of Metacam daily. Any thoughts?

Riahrae

Post   » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:35 pm

My mocha bear does this on occasion where it seems she's limping I corner her in the cage and section it off so she doesn't move much. She's my big eater and will move around and popcorn for food. By sectioning her off it limits her use of walking and she heals in about 2-3 days

Nannub

Post   » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:47 pm

Thanks for the advice! We'll try that and see what the vet says. Hopefully she'll get better soon!!!