Broken leg?

Nannub

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:26 pm

I ordered Benebac from Amazon, should be there in a few days. We just got Acidophilus from Walmart (the vegan one). This should help too right? And we'll use poop soup too. How do you make the poop soup? a few poops and water?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Yes, a poop or some crushed in some water and syringed. The special stinky cecal poops are the best.

gl/probiotics.html

Here is your pic:

Heart issues and the lymph system can be involved with foot sores.

Nannub

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping after the antibiotics and metacam she starts feeling better. It's been a rough week. We'll try the poop soup.

Nannub

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Her dosage of Baytril is .8ml q24h - 11mg/ml

Does this sound like the correct dosage? I'm reading on the Antibiotics page but I'm confused.

Nannub

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:26 pm

We got Acidophilus caplets. How much of 1 caplet should I sprinkle on top of wet veggies?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:48 pm

Did you read the page on probiotics? It is an inexact thing. Get the weight of your guinea pig and calculate the dosage here:

gl/calculate_dose.html

Nannub

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:34 pm

We sprinkled some of a caplet on top of her veggies and she ate it no problem. She's eating hay as she usually does so hopefully, Baytril paired with this probiotic will be fine until Benebac gets here. Fingers crossed. The antibiotic is only once a day so that makes me feel a little bit better. I'm so scared of Baytril, a lot of posts here and there of piggies going on Stasis.

Nannub

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:36 pm

And yes, thanks @Lynx I read every post on Guinea Lynx about antibiotics, probiotics, bumblefoot, arthritis, etc. We tried to cover all bases. Like I said, hopefully, only one dose of Baytril a day paired with probiotics won't affect her much. Fingers crossed.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:38 pm

One thing I've found that helps pigs cope with Baytril is to always give it with food. They seem to do better with it than they do if they take it on an empty stomach.

Nannub

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:41 pm

@bpatters Awesome! We gave her veggies and pellets before and after the antibiotics. Same for the Metacam. We didn't know if this would make a difference but we based it on how humans react to medication on an empty stomach. So thanks for the info! It helps a lot!!!!

Nannub

Post   » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:31 pm

Today will be Victoria's second day on Baytril. She took her first dose last night and we gave her an OTC probiotic an hour and half after the AB. Her appetite is still the same. She got excited over pellets and her veggies and ate everything. So we're hoping that she gets better soon.

Nannub

Post   » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Victoria's appetite has decreased. She still eats some hay and veggies but barely touched her pellets and we're concerned about this. We'll make pellet slurry and force feed her.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:44 pm

You might want to contact your vet about switching antibiotics, especially if she gets worse.

gl/antibiotic_advice.html

Nannub

Post   » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:53 pm

I'll try calling the vet - I asked the vet about this particular AB and she said she never had an issue giving this to any pig but I've heard bad things about Baytril.

We're on day 3 and we haven't seen any improvement. She's barely moving around. So frustrating.

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Watch her closely. If she quits moving at all or eats nothing, stop the Baytril and call your vet ASAP. My Scatter had a really bad reaction to Baytril but it only took 24-36 hours for him to stop eating and he lost the use of his rear legs. That's when I stopped the medication and if I remember correctly we switched him to Bactrim. He did recover very quickly. You might want to look at "Scatter's Medical", Jan 2014 notes when I had him spayed. Not sure it will help, but it might give a little more detail on his reaction and our solution.

Nannub

Post   » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:37 pm

Thanks for your advice GrannyJu1 - Victoria has been eating all day, and pooping. She also ran a little bit. We got her simethicone just in case. She seems to be doing okay so far. She's also been drinking water, as she usually does. The funny thing is, my fiance got scared and said she wasn't eating when she didn't show interest in her pellets, and neither did my other pig, Nami, her cage mate. But then hours later they started eating some. They did appreciate getting new hay fresh from the bag haha. They've been getting a little bit of extra veggies at night because Victoria gets her probiotics (after the AB) and they were not used to that, so maybe they were a little bit stuffed. We've been keeping a close eye on Victoria, so close that we saw her right the second she pooped while we were watching lol

Nannub

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:18 pm

Update: 9 days into Baytril treatment, Victoria has been moving around a little bit more. She's taking her Baytril like a champ, she also takes Metacam and probiotics. We kept her on gas drops, a low dose, because during the first few days of Baytril treatment she wasn't eating or pooping as much as we got worried. Her appetite is back now and she's getting Critical Care a few times a day too. She eats it from a spoon or bowl. Vet said treatment would take from 2 to 6 weeks depending on how she was doing, so we're almost done with the 2 first weeks and we'll talk to our vet to see if she'll prescribe more Baytril.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:40 am

That is encouraging. Are you weighing daily? Hoping for a full recovery!

Nannub

Post   » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:47 pm

My fiancé and I are having an argument over how Bene Bac has to be administered. Package says once every three days but reading the forums says 1-2 hours after antibiotics. Can anyone clarify this information? Thanks.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:03 am

One to two hours after antibiotics. The "every three days" thing is for people who give it on a routine basis, if there are any.

91 posts