Broken leg?

Nannub

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:47 pm


I'll update on the meds as soon as I get the information.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:36 pm


Extra bones? Do you have any xrays? I can add them to your post if you wish.
Image

I am so sorry there has been no improvement.

Nannub

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:53 pm


I'll try to get the xrays @ Lynx

Nannub

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:00 pm


What can we use as a source of fresh vitamin c every day besides veggies? Chewable vitamin C?

Nannub

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:29 am


She got Vibramycin 0.3ml/q12h and Prednisolone .2ml/q12h. We gotta stop the Metacam and wait three days before starting the Prednisolone.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:05 am


Sort on vitamin C for ideas. Go for vegs vs. fruits.
www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

Nannub

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:32 am


Okay. Thanks!

We started antibiotics. And she has to start the steroids on Sunday. She's in a little bit of pain because we couldn't give her Metacam. Hopefully steroids will help her.

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:23 am


Keeping my fingers crossed for you and her.

Nannub

Post   » Mon May 01, 2017 8:46 am


Hi everyone, we've been on this new treatment for a week now. No major improvements... the joints on her back legs seemed to have fused together completely. And one of her front paws too. She struggles to get around so we help her and keep water and hay by her. Other than that she still eats as usual and enjoys pets and head scratches. It's so hard to see her not being able to move much.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon May 01, 2017 12:46 pm


I am so sorry you are not seeing improvement. It is so difficult to have an ill pet.

Nannub

Post   » Wed May 24, 2017 10:47 am


I just wanted to update you all on Victoria's situation.
After a few weeks on this new treatment we didn't have any major improvement on her situation. We talked to the vet about our options and she suggested that pain management would be the right thing to do from now on. Victoria doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or in pain most of the time and she's still the happiest pig in the world. We'd love for her to be able to walk again but that's not possible. She still manages to get around pretty well but prefers to lay down by her hay pile, pellets and water.
Vet told me that prolonged use of Metacam can cause some kidney problems but our goal is to give Tato the best quality of life we possibly can.
My husband and I have decided that we'll give her the best life she can have given her current situation until the time comes. If at some point we see that she's not happy anymore, she stops eating or it's in constant pain we'll have to make the decision of putting her to sleep but right now we think she's doing great. We're enjoying the time we have with her and giving her extra cuddles. We love our girl so much.
Thank you everyone for your support!


She's on 0.04ml q24hs of Metacam.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed May 24, 2017 10:50 am


It sounds like you are making a wise choice. We have had several guinea pigs on metacam for extended periods of time so problems with the kidneys may not develop.

Hoping for the best for you.

Nannub

Post   » Wed May 24, 2017 11:45 am


Thanks @Lynx

Nannub

Post   » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:28 am


UPDATE:

During the past week we've seen improvement on Victoria's situation. I don't know if switching her to Metacam again did the trick or what, but she started standing on her own, even though the joints on her back legs are completely stiff. She also "walked" a little bit (wobbly walk because of the same reason) and she now moves herself into a tunnel she has close by to sleep at night or naps... We're so excited to see her getting a little bit better every day. She is also almost back to her weight before she got sick. She's a strong little one!

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:05 pm


That is such good news! I wonder if some physical therapy (gentle manipulation, perhaps in warm water) might help her back legs.

Nannub

Post   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:05 am


We'll talk to our vet about the physical therapy :)
We're taking Victoria's cage mate in for a checkup on Monday. We found what looks/feels like a pea sized lipoma on her side and we'd like to get it checked just in case. It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all, but better safe than sorry right?

As of yesterday, Victoria's current weight is 685 grams. Her lowest was 595 grams 3 weeks ago, since then she's been getting better and stronger every day. Our only struggle is keeping her cage mate away because she slowly walks towards Victoria acting nonchalant and whenever we look away she takes her veggies and runs lol

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:50 pm


Sounds like one sneaky guinea pig!

Around here, it is sneaky squirrels that I have so much trouble with. At least a pet is the one getting the food!

Nannub

Post   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:55 pm


UPDATE on Nami (the sneaky pig)

We took her to the vet on Monday to have her lump checked. Vet says is a sebaceous cyst and skin looks great on top of it. They took a sample of the material inside to test and she confirmed that was that and that unless it ruptured or got bigger and cause discomfort or pain to Nami there was no reason to be worried about. She said if it ruptures we should take her in to get some antibiotics just in case.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:06 pm


Keep an eye on it. If those get too big, they can be surgically removed without too much trouble. But if they don't grow or bother the pig, your vet is right, leave it alone.

Do keep an eye on it, though.

Nannub

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:51 am


Thanks for the advice @Talishan. We will keep a close eye on it :D

Post Reply
91 posts