Fur falling out in large quantities. Help!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:31 pm

Pepper had a bad bout of bumble foot last spring ironically a couple of months after she had a hysterectomy due to a uterine mass. Here's what I posted on another thread about her treatment:

"We've been dealing with bumblefoot with Pepper for several weeks. We're still working on it with some very slow improvement.

She's on bactrim & they're keeping her on it since there is a bit of improvement. We know from past experience that she looses weight on baytril & she's already a bit low in weight. She started with iodine solution soaks & for the last 2-3 weeks they've given us something else for soaks. I can't remember the name, but it's used for cancer (??). They mix it up in solution once a week.

We've tried bandages with neosporin & at first (once we figured out how to do it) she kept them on for a day. But she gradually got better at getting them off, so she'd only have them on for a couple of hours."

We kept up the soaking & bactrim & got her fleece bedding over an absorbent layer & layers of towels for softness. The vet also mentioned possible vitamin c deficiency. It took several months, but the feet finally healed.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:52 pm

That doesn't look like unusual hair loss to me. All of mine shed like crazy. I only worry if I see bald spots.

Lovemypiggie

Post   » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:56 pm

Update:

Summer did have a few small bald spots. The vet thought the fur loss might be due to allergies which also could have also been a contributor to her bumble foot.

We decided it might be the detergent we used to launder her cage towels.

We switched back to Carefresh bedding, continued the paw soaks, topical antibiotics and started her on oral antibiotics. I added vitamin C supplementation and Missing Link brand suppliments.

She is doing much better. Fur has now stopped falling out and her paws are clearing up at a fast rate.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:36 am

It is also possible it was taking a while for the spay to resolve (hormonal imbalance).

But whatever the cause of the improvement, it is great she is doing better!

What are you soaking the feet with these days? How often? Any bandaging? What are the oral and topical antibiotics you are using? Which Missing Link brand supplements?

Details might help the next person.

Lovemypiggie

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi,

Below is the treatment course we are using on Summer...

Oral antibiotics are: Bactrim 2x/day: Topical antibiotics are Mupirocin 2% 2x/day: Epsom H2O soaks 2x/day: Sherwood Vitamin C & Bioflavonoids (1 tab) and Missing Link (the original) tiny pinch both crumbled and added to inside of a tiny sweet pepper a day.

Summer's paws look almost completely healed. Sores are gone. Just one paw appears a little more puffy than the other but no redness what so ever. So we will continue treatment until this final part disappears.

***Question: How do you treat fleas on these little creatures? ***

Our dog seems to have brought fleas into our home. We are now dealing with a minor infestation.

We have our cat and dog on both oral and topical flea treatments. Our rabbit is on a topical little kitten flea treatment. We have bathed Summer in mild tiny creature shampoo and cleaned her cage area. We found a few fleas on her (yikes!). Is their anything else we can do to protect her???

Any help is very appreciated as I could not find it addressed on this site when I looked (although I am sure it is here somewhere)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:05 pm

I think Revolution treats fleas. You'd have to get it from you vet.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:34 pm

Fleas are mentioned on this page:
http://www.guinealynx.info/parasites.html

There's a link to this page for some general guidelines:
http://extentopubs.tamu.edu/e-433.html

Lovemypiggie

Post   » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:05 am

Our precious Summer passed away last Friday.

She was doing so well. Eating really good, acting a little less energetic but nothing significant.

She downed her morning treats Thursday and around 6pm I gave her her evening treats. I noticed around 10pm her treats were still sitting in her treat bowl. I went to get her some green pepper because she loves it. I put it in her cage, she took it then dropped it. So I picked her up and noticed a pool of urine under her. I decided to hold her, she gave me a lip kiss. It appeared she was breathing hard.

As I held her, she was so figidity. I continued to hold her wrapped in a "very" soft blanket. I was going to rush her to the vet in the morning. I sang to her and tried to have her comfortable. She started to go limp around 1am and then passed away in my arms. I am so heartbroken. I loved her so much. Her decline was so very rapid.

I want to thank all of you here for all the support you gave me this past year. This site was a God send for me. I have not been on in awhile but wanted to let you know what happened.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:26 am

I'm very sorry you lost her.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:59 am

I am so sorry for your loss.

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:01 am

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Just know you did the best you could for her and gave her wonderful home and life. Sending hugs.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:14 pm

I'm really sorry. I'm glad she was with you.

32 posts