Stroke, Brain Infection or Ear Infection

sylvia0526

Post   » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Thank you.... Here are some pictures:

Toby
2013-2017

He had veggie, pellet, and wafer before he passed away with the brain power and energy he could muster with his condition. When he was doing worse, I rattled the Oxbow wafer container and it was the last wafer left. He grabbed it but could only chew a little with what he was able to do with what abilities he had... He wanted to eat it but just could get some soft nibbles in. I don't know what went wrong... I can't believe he is gone... I will miss his sweet licks and nibbles on my hand to let him back in the cage...

I miss you, sweetie... I won't ever forget you...

here is a picture of his last wafer and it was the last wafer left in the container, and I buried it with him.... He wouldn't let go of the wafer no matter how much he was not doing well.... <3 : ( Image

sylvia0526

Post   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:35 am

I think it was an ear infection and he should have been given ivermevtin... the bald spots and crusts on his chin and the head tilt. And the mites must have come from hay that a cow or horse rubbed mites on. I was crying last night because there was no resolve to what happened to him... and I feel that giving ivermectin could have saved him. I feel angry... I was really missing him last night and started researching his symptoms... and I think it was earmites... what can I do? I wish I was given the option to give him ivermectin. That cured his mites before quickly in a few days, why not again?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:46 am

The mites didn't come from hay or cows or horses. Every living thing in the world is covered in mites, including you and me. Sometimes, the body fails to keep them at bay, maybe because the immune system is compromised, or some other reason.

sylvia0526

Post   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:02 pm

Ear mites not just mites.

sylvia0526

Post   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:43 pm

Humans being infected with ear mites is rare.

sylvia0526

Post   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:37 pm

We bought fresh cut hay here from the local store so there may have been mites in there from an animal. I've read it in a few other places that mites can be transferred from hay although it is not a host. It is the ear mites not just all mites that I'm referring to if that makes a difference.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge of head tilt, nystagmus, neurological problems, seemingly looking blind, coordination deficits, symptoms like these you have heard or seen in rabbits or guinea pigs please let me know. I would really appreciate it...

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:42 am

If you bought the hay from a pet store and an open bag was near their guinea pigs, it might be possible to get mites from hay.

But this is extremely unlikely.
www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

sylvia0526

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:11 am

I saw the page on ear mites and ivermectin but the vet didnt prescribe that... just meloxicam and sulfameth and chlorhexidine cream...
Also when I noticed symptoms my parents said he would be fine and after my sister said it was a waste of money to get necropsy. And as I was in a weak and emotional state. As well as I wish I researched more so I would have known to ask for ivermectin. It seems like earmites.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:53 am

sylvia0526, don't beat yourself up anymore. Hind sight is always 20/20. Next time, you might consider a pet you can afford vet bills for.

ItsaZoo

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:17 pm

Sylvia0526, I am so sorry that you had to go through this. From your posts it is obvious you provided the best care possible and made the best decisions you could while under so much stress. If the vet successfully treated Toby in the past, I would assume that ivermectin would have been prescribed if needed since it is very common and used on other pets as well. Sometimes there are several health issues that team up making it impossible to recover no matter how much care and meds we can provide.

Treat yourself kindly - you did everything you could with the resources you had.

sylvia0526

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:00 am

Grannyju, i don't understand what you mean... i payed everything the dr. Recommended. This has nothing to do with money. I am not beating myself up either...

Itsazoo, I see. But the dr was not sure what it was either... I think maybe not a common case...

sylvia0526

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:10 am

Grannyhu, there was no understanding of what happened with Toby, therefore there is no hindsight. Which is why I'm posting to see if anyone might have any insight into those presented symptoms.

The little symptoms of a couple bald patches under the chin was when I thought to take him to the vet. He had no noticable neurological symptoms or anything else abnormal. It was a sudden downhill.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:01 am

I'm sorry if I sounded callous. I didn't mean to be.

The reason I said to not beat yourself up was because it sounded - to me - like you were. I simply meant that you did what you could.

I am truly sorry for your loss, and wish we had answers for you.

sylvia0526

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:18 am

Grannyju, I was just posting to see if anyone had any experience of this kind of case. Because I guess it is not usual and I want it to be out there in case so that the condition can be cured or alleviated with the correct medicine perhaps in the future. And the more we know the better and can help others who may be having the same or similar dilemma.

I was just expressing my feelings about what happened during when he was sick. It must have been confusing and incomplete as I was emotional writing the posts. I just thought that a guinea pig community would understand the feeling of a loss and could be of support.

sylvia0526

Post   » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:05 pm

Someone abandoned him at my apartment stairwell and he was very sick having seizures from itching with mites so bad. I took him to a few dr visits and he got well so far as I could tell. The same exotics vet that saw him with mites said he may have carried along issues from then having the seizures to when he got sick the second time. So it could be multiple factors I guess.

35 posts