Help, I think my pig is pregnant!

RaminxRamin

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:13 pm

Hello all, my female pig, Pashmina, broke out of her cage about three or four weeks ago and got into one of my male's cage. By the time I found them and fixed the cages, they were both very calm and my boy wasn't trying to bother her at all. I'm not sure when she broke into his cage or how long they were together. When I came in and found them it was early morning so there really is no telling how long they were together.

Well, come to find that Pashmina's starting to exhibit symptoms of pregnancy. She seems to be starting to show, her nipples seem a bit swollen, she's eating and drinking more than she usually does, she's gained a lot of weight recently, her abdomen is harder than usual, and we can feel lumps when we press gently into her abdomen.

She's 5 months old and perfectly healthy (besides maybe being pregnant). I have photos I took today that I will attach. I'm not sure what to do as I never wanted to breed my pigs and I am saving to get my boys fixed. If she is pregnant I do plan on keeping the pups as I have plenty of room for them. I'm looking for advice since I'm not a breeder and do not know about these things.

((I will post the pics soon))

JX4

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:18 pm

One of my pigs got pregnant at 4 or 5 months of age. You need to be giving her extra calcium and Vitamin C *now*. She is still growing herself, and the developing babies will be robbing her bones of calcium and her body of nutrients. I don't mean to scare you, but giving birth broke her two femurs because they were so weakened from having been robbed of calcium. Give her alfalfa hay, parsley, green pepper. Others here can also give good suggestions. But you really need to make sure she has continuous access to alfalfa hay.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:30 pm

Do read over all the info in the reproductive pages:

www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

RaminxRamin

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:55 pm

Thank you both so much! I'm going to go to the store tomorrow when they open and get alfalfa and more veggies.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Give her alfalfa pellets as well.

Please make absolutely sure that the males cannot get to her, especially right after she delivers. They are, in an irony of nature, most fertile right after they deliver. You definetely *don't* want a back-to-back pregnancy.

Good luck to her and to you. It's great that you will be able to keep the pups. Keep us posted.

RaminxRamin

Post   » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:42 pm

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely keep everyone updated. So far she's doing good, I got the veggies and new hay and she doesn't seem to be complaining!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:08 pm

Excellent. Keep us posted.

RaminxRamin

Post   » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:30 pm

Update: Pashmina is gaining weight and eating and drinking a lot still. No signs of sickness or complications yet. I can even see her belly move now! I think she'll be giving birth within the next few weeks. I've been refraining from handling her except to weigh her and even then I ask her to climb into her carrier instead of my hands.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:25 am

You're doing everything right. Keep us posted, and best wishes and blessings to Pashmina.

RaminxRamin

Post   » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:37 am

Thank you, you've all been a real help!

RaminxRamin

Post   » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:31 pm

UPDATE: Pashmina is still eating and drinking a lot but her poop has gotten smaller and darker, as you can probably see in the photo that I took when I noticed it a day or two ago. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:20 am

The poop looks pretty good to me. It does not look like she is dehydrated or underfed. I think she needs a larger opening in that box so it is easier to get in and out and there is more air circulation. It looks very small. Is there a second opening across from the front one? How about a bigger cardboard box with several openings?

You do want to encourage her to move around as much as she can. It will aid her blood circulation and help keep her healthy.