Help, I think my pig is pregnant!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:01 am

You're doing a great job. Keep us posted!

RaminxRamin

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:11 am

Thanks, I will!

RaminxRamin

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:54 am

Hey, quick thing. Pashmina is acting a bit odd today. When I came in to give her breakfast this morning she didn't wheek for food like she usually does, she wouldn't even come to me to get the food like she does every feeding. All she would do is stand in the door of her hide chattering really softly at me. Is this normal for a pregnant pig or should be concerned? She's never chattered at me before and she really doesn't chatter at all usually so I'm a little concerned. I was able to eventually coax her out though to eat.

JX4

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:14 pm

By "chattering" do you mean teeth clacking like she's mad?

RaminxRamin

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Yes and when I try to give her a treat or hand feed her anything she'll ignore me when I call and opt to biting at my hands rather than taking the food. Her whole demeanor seems off to me, she's usually a really laid back pig and hasn't shown aggression since she was very young and even then she's never tried to bite humans. I've been leaving her alone since this morning except to offer a piece of cool apple as a treat because I could tell she wasn't acting herself and I didn't want to stress her out. I've been sitting in the room watching her though and she just seems... odd? I'm not sure how to describe it to someone who doesn't know her mannerisms but she just seems on edge about something and really tense.

Sparklederp

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Teeth chattering/grinding when it's not a sign of aggression toward another pig can be a sign of pain. If she's getting close to full term, she could be going into labor soon.

RaminxRamin

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:25 pm

Oh goodness! I want to be nearby in case she needs to go to the vet but I don't want to stress her out if she wants to be alone. Should I stay or continue to monitor periodically?

Sparklederp

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:30 pm

If she has a hide in her cage so she can feel safe, I don't see the harm in staying in the room to keep an eye on her without actively disturbing her.

RaminxRamin

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Little update: at 2 pm I weighed her and she's up to 969 grams already! I'm going to check to see if her pelvis is widening around 3pm. I didn't want to stress her out too much so I'm letting her rest. I'll update soon.

RaminxRamin

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:29 pm

Update: Her pelvis is a whole finger wide now! I gave her some berries to cool her off and give her a sweet treat since she never ate the apple. She seems to be doing good so I'm going to leave her be and check on her a little later.

RaminxRamin

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:30 pm

Update: Her pelvis is a whole finger wide now! I gave her some berries to cool her off and give her a sweet treat since she never ate the apple. She seems to be doing good so I'm going to leave her be and check on her a little later.

RaminxRamin

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:22 pm

I just fed her and checked her pelvis again. No change yet, I weighed her and it read 983 grams. Probably not having the pups tonight but now that I say that I might just come in tomorrow to a surprise. I was able to feel the pups moving and kicking while I checked her though! I'm going to leave her alone for tonight, maybe check on her around 10, and I'll update when I see her next.

JX4

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:43 pm

I missed both our sows' births. One came during night and we woke up to babies. The other sow gave birth the next day between 12:00 and 12:30. How do I know? Because I sat with her all morning waiting, then took a 30 minute break to answer a long distance phone call. Left her side at noon and came back at 12:30 to babies!

RaminxRamin

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:06 pm

Haha that's crazy! I bet she's going to wait until I'm gone, I just want to be able to get her help if she needs it. I just checked her, no change really. Her babies are really active though. I'll check her again tomorrow, maybe we'll welcome some pups to the family too!

RaminxRamin

Post   » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:17 pm

I just checked and weighed her again, she's about the same on both aspects, maybe a little wider in the pelvis. I have noticed her start to sit on her haunches and clean herself down there from time to time so maybe she'll have them tonight. I felt the babies moving when I checked her too, they're really active! I'll update again when I check her next.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:20 pm

Don't check her so often. She's massively uncomfortable, and there's nothing you can do for her, anyway. Just leave her in peace.

FYI, the babies usually stop moving so much before they're born, because there's not enough room in there to move.

RaminxRamin

Post   » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Update: Pashmina is laying near her water bottle chattering and grinding her teeth and every few seconds she lifts herself to check under herself every few seconds. I think she's either dialating or going to go into labor soon.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:41 pm

Review the labor page if you haven't read it recently!

www.guinealynx.info/labor.html

RaminxRamin

Post   » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:53 pm

I just read that thanks! I think she may be experiencing contractions but she hasn't made a sound. She's laying in her hide and every few seconds her feet and legs tense up. Do guinea pigs have contractions before going into labor?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:55 pm

I don't know if they do but it would make sense that they might.

79 posts