Need opinions regarding surgery for pre-stones

jlynnnx

Post   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:53 am

Well she had perked up for about 2 days and was eating better and happier but then went back to being unwell. I was going to take her back in tomorrow as that's when the 2 week course of abs is up and she was still having intermittent blood and squeaking. I was continuing to give her CC the whole time and starting a few hours ago she wouldn't swallow it and became very weak. Whereas she was taking the food this morning and even wheeked a bit for veggies, and was standing up on the cage for a carrot last night. It was a shockingly rapid decline and she passed away in my arms.

I am heartbroken. Wondering if there was anything else I could have done and if the vets had her on the best treatment and/or the right diagnosis. I was really hoping she would be okay. :(

RIP Ruby sweet girl, you were a great piggy.

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:05 am

I am so very sorry for your loss. Most of us question what we think we did or did not do, but you did everything that you knew to do for her.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:27 am

I get UTI's often due to having MS, as it weakened the bladder muscles, it means it can't empty well, and the remaining pee is a great base for growing bacteria. Cranberry is a great extra, I take it too, twice a day. It helped to reduce UTI's by 4/5 at least.

Glucosamine seems to have a good influence on the bladder wall, to strengthen it. I found out myself, as I started taking it for my sore joints. My bladder felt much better within a week. The difference was incredible for me. No UTI even since I started taking it yet.

The bladder wall gets scraped constantly by grit, and hence becomes prone to infections. So, the effects of cranberry and glucosamine are similar to my issues.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:30 am

I am so sorry for your loss, jlynnnx.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:01 am

I'm so sorry you lost her.

jlynnnx

Post   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:29 am

Thank you guys. I just wish I could've had more time with her. I adopted her at 2 years old so I've only had her for a little over 2 1/2 years. I don't understand why she passed so suddenly. My poor girl...

I love pigs so much but you just never know with them, they seem to be prone to so many serious problems. I wonder if it has to do with bad breeding in recent times. I just wish they could all live to be 9+ years, but obviously that's not the way it works and they're fragile little things. It's been so rough losing each of the ones I've lost, granted that's only been 4 now and maybe I've been unlucky. Hopefully my other piggy does alright, I'll get her another friend eventually. Just needed to vent a little, I feel so frustrated and sad. :(

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:56 pm

I am so sorry. You did everything you could to get her well & keep her comfortable. She knew she was loved.

jlynnnx

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:06 pm

Thank you. She had such a big personality and was always so vocal so it's so quiet without her. I'm still feeling guilty, I feel like the vets were wrong and I should've demanded answers and different treatments. But I'm glad she's not hurting anymore now. And she was so very loved.

Her sister seems a little confused as to where she is and why is she is alone now, she seemed to be looking for her. But otherwise she's doing fine, still running laps and acting her self.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:44 pm

If you haven't read over alone.html, it may help.

jlynnnx

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:17 pm

I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on her, and I've been holding her more.