Trichoepitheliomas treatment for guinea pig

Mortymort1

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:52 pm

Hi everyone, I new to the forum so this will be my first post.
My girlfriend and I just recently purchased an Abyssinian guinea pig from Craigslist - I know not the best place. He's a cute little guy about a year old, but unfortunately he has a bad case of Trichoepitheliomas. We took him to the vest the day we bought him, and the vet perscribed us Enrofloxacin, as well as vitamin c drops, we've used the meds up, and we are still giving him vitamin c drops daily, one of his worts has healed, but the other has not. So does anyone know of a good over the counter medication we can purchase? The medication is 45 bucks, and we can't afford the $600 for surgery. So any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:19 pm

I can't imagine that Baytril, which is enrofloxacin, would do anything at all for trichoepitheliomas. Baytril is an antibiotic, trichoepitheliomas are tumors, and they have to be surgically removed, whether with scalpels or lasers.

Was this an exotic vet?

You can post pictures here. Send them to attach@guinealynx.info, along with your board name and the URL of this thread. Lynx will post them for you.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:57 pm

First off, thank you and bless you for taking a pig off Craigslist. You have saved this animal's life. That is not an exaggeration.

Second, ditto bpatters. Why did the vet give enrofloxacin? Did they find an infection in the mass, or elsewhere? If so, that's one thing, but an AB isn't going to help the mass.

Many vets know just enough about guinea pigs to give them Baytril and vitamin C -- and no more. You have a lot of exotics vets in your area:

http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=243

Pics would be helpful.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:54 pm

Yes, a picture would be very very helpful. You can email a pic or two to me, if you have a clear, crisp image to share:

Skin issues can be many things.
www.guinealynx.info/lumps.html

Mortymort1

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Thank you all for the replies, in short answer, yes it was an exotic vet specializing in Guinea Pigs. I just sent pics to the address provided above, they should be posted soon.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:08 pm

I only got one pic but it is fairly clear (I cropped two views, one close and one more distant).

I am not 100% sure what this is:

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:13 pm

It does look possibly infected, so maybe that's why the antibiotic was given. But I'd have thought a topical cream would be more effective. If you could get the open areas cleared up and healed, you probably wouldn't have to worry about the masses themselves.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:26 pm

Is the area raised? Like a trichofolliculoma?

http://www.guinealynx.info/trichofolliculoma.html

Mortymort1

Post   » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:22 am

Our other piggy, Morty had a fungal infection and we still have the cream we used for him, would that work to clear up the infection?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:36 am

It doesn't look fungal to me, and without a culture, there's no way to tell. If it's not fungal, the fungal medicine won't do anything for it. In that case, switch to a triple antibiotic cream, available at any pharmacy. Apply it with a q-tip and rub it in well.

But if it were me, I'd start with the antibiotic cream. It's not expensive. If it doesn't work, you could then try the antifungal cream.

Mortymort1

Post   » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:40 am

Thank you so much, I'll look into it!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:10 am

Is it raised? (lumpy?) Have you seen it with the scab off? Does it seem infected? (i.e. hot to the touch, perhaps an odor, sensitive to touch)

It almost looks like the upper two scabs were puncture wounds from a bite of some kind.

Mortymort1

Post   » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:49 pm

Thank you everyone for the helpful information, but I believe or little guy needs some serious medical help. Please click on the link to our XXX page, my girlfriend and I are in need of any assistance on paying for his medical needs. Thank you. [REMOVED - LYNX]

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:06 pm

You are not allowed to solicit funds on this board. Reread the membership agreement. Your account will be suspended if you solicit funds.

14 posts • Page 1 of 1