Mr. Bear medical thread

Jsilv

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:22 pm

Hello,
Lynx- the thread you wanted me to post on is not about Mr. Bear- it was about Mr. Pig, who has passed away. I started the new thread about Mr. Bear, who I don't believe I have asked medical advise about. I am reposting this and asking for help. If this is not allowed please explain what I am supposed to do. To be calls - Mr Bear and Mr. Pig are 2 different piggys. The "new pig with neurologic behavior" thread was about Mr. Pig. Mr. Pig is now dead. I am starting this thread for Mr. Bear, my other guinea pig.

Hello again everyone. It seems I have another eating issue on my hands. Mr. Bear seemed to perk up after a while of missing Mr. Pig but about 2 days ago I noticed he wasn't eating as much as usual. Then today it barely looked like he touched his pellets. He seems to be eating his hay and he was gobbling down his fruit just fine. So I was sitting with him today trying to get him to eat fruit and chopped veggies. He ate some with me and now he is in his cage gobbling it up. But he still won't touch his pellets. They are the same brand as I have always fed him, Oxbow, and they do not expire until 2019. I am worried because he always eats everything. When I was sitting with him and looking for signs of discomfort I found a matt near his butt. I shaved it off and now its all gone. I also gave him a bit of a trim, he's VERY long haired, in case that was causing him pain.

I also noticed that he seems to have lice again. I did fully get rid of them last time but somehow they have found their way back. I'm assuming that would be the biggest offender? perhaps he is itchy and distracted? But then why is he not having trouble eating anything else? Could his teeth be overgrown? I tried to look but I just can't get hi to open his mouth big enough to see the molars. If everyone thinks it is the lice, I will just start him on the same routine I used to get rid of them last time. However, I don't want put him on meds if there is a bigger issue it could interfere with.

I also felt his belly to see if it was tight, but its just as squishy as ever.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:49 pm

I have no comment on the lice. As for the Pellets, don't worry too much. Try getting them wet so they are soft. If they are stored incorrectly they can get stale easily. If they still don't, then don't worry about it just offer it, but don't force it

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:53 pm

You were right to start a thread on Mr. Bear. I apologize for mixing them up.

It sounds like you will need to hand feed and retreat for lice.
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

The pages on teeth might give you some ideas for looking at his mouth. A knowledgeable vet could evaluate Mr. Bear for malocclusion best.
teeth.html
malocclusion.html

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:04 am

Is it a new bag of pellets, even if the same kind and same manufacturer? In my experience Oxbow Cavy Cuisine varies a lot in smell and taste bag to bag. Some bags they snarf down, others they just pick at, and everything in between.

Is Mr. Bear losing weight?