HELP! Piggy broken teardrop poop, color not solid

Robomi

Post   » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Hello everyone,

I've recently adopted two piggies Bubbles and Mocha~ They're both female, around 1 year old. I feed them unlimited Oxbow Timothy Hay + 1/4 cup of Oxbow pallets everyday. They're also getting a cup of veggies daily consisted of romain lettuce+ red bell pepper+cilantro (occasionally: green beans, carrot, kale, celery, tomato, raspberry, blueberry).

While cleaning their cage yesterday, I noticed Mocha's poops to be very hard, most broken in half with tails at the end. I read online that this means dehydration, so I increased her intake on lettuce last night. Today her poops are not as hard, but most still had tiny tails. The color is not solid like before, sort of a dark brown and yellowish color. One or two still in half (I'm sure she did not step on them). She is using her water bottle fine, the water is going down as usual.

I am a first time piggie owner, and is very confused on this poop matter. Is this something serious? Is the color normal? Why would the poop be in half? She is still very energetic, acting just fine. I've been giving both of them Oxbow Digestive Support supplement since they've came. I emailed Oxbow and customer support said it can be fed daily and continuously.

Please help me out, thanks everyone! (I couldn't find a way to upload pics from my phone to this forum, is there any way?)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:51 pm

The color varies with whatever they've recently eaten, and in the absence of any symptoms of illness, doesn't really mean anything.

The hard poop does indicate dehydration. What I'd do in that situation is syringe her some extra liquid, either water or pedialyte. If you can give her 10-15 cc two or three times a day, the situation may clear up.

Most pigs love pedialyte (the generic is just as good as the brand name). Or, you can flavor the water with a bit of juice, such as apple, carrot, orange, etc.

If they're only getting one cup of veggies for two pigs, you can double that, and maybe add a little more. Cucumber, if it doesn't make them gassy, is good for getting liquid in them. I'd change the romaine to red or green leaf lettuce -- romaine cause excess urinary calcium in some pigs, though not in others. Excess urinary calcium has been implicated in bladder stones.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:02 am

It can also mean your guinea pig is not eating enough, even though it looks like she is. Weigh daily right now and see how well she is really eating.
www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

3 posts • Page 1 of 1