Concerns over Grieving Guinea Pig

sirsqueeksalot

Post   » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi all,

Hoping I can get some advice.
I had to put my beloved guinea pig Juju down last week.
My other guinea pig Spooky has been grieving for the last 3 days. He was friends with Juju for 5 years and they lived side by side because Juju was aggressive.
I decided to change the cage, clean it and get him all new toys. I read that the distraction of new things may help him
with the grieving.
He is a 5 year old male (not neutered).
This is a summary of his behavior over the last few days:
Pretty dull and quiet, sits in the corner of the cage, isn't vocal or interested in most things. Is scared to venture out.
Even when I put down an old hideaway with Juju's scent on it.

Drinks some water and nibbles on the hay close by. I see him eating a few pellets but not much.
I have offered him a wide variety of different fresh veggie.
He usually goes crazy for red pepper and carrots and his vitamin c tablet and knows exactly what time I am eating breakfast so he can stand up and squeek for it, but has no interest now.
The only veggies he will eat are dill, bananna and blueberries. I don't want to give him too many sweet things.
He's poops vary and aren't as dark and are more dry and in pieces, probably because he isn't eating/drinking enough.

I fed him critical care once yesterday and the day before but he absolutely hates oral medication (even the techs at the exotic vet said he was really difficult to hold down)
and was sooo distressed yesterday that I worry his condition may worsen if I try and syringe feed again.

I could take him to the vet but my bill is so high from juju and I think they will just suggest syringe feeding and getting him a friend.
The latter is sadly out of the question. I cannot currently take on any more pigs.

The vet treating my sick guinea pig had said eating pellets was important for older pigs, who are losing weight- is it that bad if he is mainly eating hay and water?

I am wondering if he may perk up in the next few days or if anyone suggests syringe feeding despite how traumatic it is for him.

Also, I wanted to see if I could find someone in New York City with a guinea pig or more and see if I can arrange play date times, that way he won't be so lonely. Does anyone know of any regional forums I could post that to?

As a last resort I am considering putting him up for adoption. As much as I would miss him, I would feel happier if I knew he had some company.
I would obviously make sure he bonded with another pig and also interview a bunch of people. Can anyone recommend sites for that?

Thanks

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:55 pm

You have read alone.html? I am sorry for the loss of your other guinea pig. Was it a possibly contagious illness?
Have you considered helping out a rescue and being a temporary home for another guinea pig? Are you weighing him regularly? Eating hay is good. If you have Critical Care available, you could try supplementing his diet with some moistened Critical Care formed into balls.

sirsqueeksalot

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Thanks Lynx. I have read the info about guinea pigs who live alone.
Juju's had what the doctor believed was insulinoma.
He also had the start of a kidney disease, so I don't think it was contagious.
Yesterday, I played with him a bunch and we had some lap time and he definitely perked up a bit.
I did still give him one syringe of critical care.
I would definitely be interested in helping provide a temporary home for a rescue.
Do you know any good sites where I can contact someone?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:09 pm

Looks like you are in NYC. Check out this rescue to see if you can help them or if they have some ideas:
http://haltrescue.com/about.php