Esomeprazole with antibiotics for URI

Helsu

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:03 am

Hi!

Does anyone have information of using esomeprazole with guinea pigs? I have three male piggies with URI and we already used Bactrim for three weeks. Last weekend the youngest (who I thought was cured already) was neutered and during the surgery there came a lot of yellow discharge from his nose. The vet took a culture and Bactrim should be sensitive but she suggested to try something else because it hadn't obviously worked. Because I can't use Baytril for the growing pig I think I will give Doxy a try, it was sensitive also.

One of the older piggies seems to be okay after Bactrim now but the other one is still coughing a little and he sits in a hunched position so I think I will change him to Doxy also. Problem is that he has an extremely sensitive stomach. Antibiotics don't cause him diarrhea but something happens because he starts to eat everything. I mean walls, carpets, curtains... I discussed that here earlier and it was thought that the antibiotics are causing heart burn etc. I'm worried because he already has a long period of Bactrim behind and I'm wondering is there anything I could give him? I've used ranitidine once before but we don't have that at our clinic at the moment, it has been out of stock for a long time. Could esomeprazole be used?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:18 am

A search online shows esomeprazole (Nexium for humans) is sometimes used for gastric reflux in dogs and as an acid suppressant. This does not sound like an appropriate drug to use on guinea pigs.

You have started a lot of threads/topics in the medical forum. I encourage you to maintain an individual topic on each of your guinea pigs and ask random questions like this on the appropriate guinea pig's thread. It helps us to know which guinea pig this applies to and that guinea pig's history. The medical forum is best used for individual guinea pig's health issues rather than for random questions that actually belong in one guinea pig's thread.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:03 am

Have you tried giving probiotics an hour after each antibiotic dose? That often helps with digestive upsets.

Also, you might ask about a nebulized antibiotic. Much stronger meds can be given that way than can be taken orally, and they're often more effective.

Helsu

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:31 pm

Ok. My bad, I'm sorry. Please delete this thread.

Just for information, we use the Nexium injection for dogs, cats and rabbits here in Finland so that's why I thought it might be ok. My vet couldn't tell. Probiotics tested, not working.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:44 pm

I would discuss it more thoroughly with your vet. If you do decide to use it, let us know if it has any effect.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1