Diarrhea/sneezing/slow weight gain after eye poke

angel12034

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:43 pm

Hello all,
my guinea pig Rosie is 2 years old. We adopted her from the local rescue about six months ago. She was neglected as a baby and never grew like she should have. She was 550 grams when we got her but very healthy. She had an eye poke about three weeks ago and went to the vet the next day. He gave her an eye injection followed by bactrim and eye drops. He said the eye may need to be removed. He also fixed her malocclusion which I didn't know that she had. Towards the end of her bactrim course she developed diarrhea even though I gave her bene-bac every day. She has had very soft poops since then. I have tried poop soup, imodium, and bio-sponge. Nothing has seemed to help. I figured I would stop everything to see if that made a difference and it didn't. The past three days I have only done poop soup. Any other thoughts on what to do? She has had very slow weight gain of about 1 gram per day. I feel like the diarrhea is causing her not to gain well. She eats and drinks well. I hand fed her after her surgery and she loved it but now she refuses the syringe and will run up on my shoulder. I forgot to mention that she had an ear infection as well then started with a runny nose. Her nose isn't runny anymore but she sneezes a lot. Her teeth still look good...it was the front top and bottom teeth that were the problem so I can see those well. Does anyone think that the eye is bad and needs to come out and is causing the sneezing? The vet said that if she could blink than it wouldn't need to be removed. She definitely closes it part way when I get near the eye but I'm not sure if she blinks. I have been working a lot this summer and haven't been able to make another appointment with the vet yet but I am hoping for next week. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:37 am

Is she having real diarrhea? The runny, smelly stuff? Or just soft poops?

Is she still on an antibiotic? If so, her stool probably won't firm up until she's off of it. If she's having frank diarrhea, I'd take her off of it now. If it's just the soft poop, you might continue on it until she's finished, with the caveat that you stop it if she gets any worse.

It's possible that a hay poke could be so bad that it causes the loss of an eye, but that's very unusual. Usually the eye will clear up with antibiotic treatment. However, I've never heard of a vet giving an injection in the eye. Antibiotic ointment or drops for the eyes is the usual treatment. When an antibiotic is needed, Bactrim is not the first choice -- it's far more effective against urinary tract infections than anything else. And she should have been given something for pain, because eye injuries hurt like crazy.

However, the eye wouldn't be the cause of the sneezing. The sneezing may be a sign of a respiratory infection, or just of dusty hay. If there's any discharge from the nose, she needs a different antibiotic than the one she's on.

I'm not so sure about your vet, however. Guinea pigs almost NEVER have problems just with their front teeth -- it's problems with the molars that can cause problems with the front teeth. Trimming the front teeth isn't the answer, and just leaves the original problem there. If she really had tooth problems, she needed her molars planed. However, many non-exotic vets aren't familiar with the length of guinea pig teeth, and will trim them unnecessarily. That, combined with the choice of Bactrim as an antibiotic and the vet saying that if she could blink the eye it wouldn't need to be removed, are enough to send me looking for another vet.

Guinea pigs need an exotic vet. Small animal vets treat dogs and cats, and most have no experience at all with exotics. Some are just downright dangerous.

angel12034

Post   » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:48 am

Thank you for the reply! She has been off of the antibiotic for 2 weeks. She has been having soft poops ever since not liquid. This is an exotics vet and one that is recommended by the rescue. The lady at the rescue is very knowledgeable about guinea pigs and she said that he would give an injection which he did. The eye had a huge mark in the middle but now it doesn't. It just looks dull. He explained that if she cannot see out of the eye and cannot blink then she is going to keep getting pokes so it should come out. She was on metacam for 2 weeks...sorry I forgot to add that. He showed me her front teeth and they were overgrown and misaligned. He put her under to file them so we were able to get a good look. If they were not fixed properly then she probably wouldn't be gaining weight at ask. Trust me he is a great exotics vet. I have been to a vet that gave my pig penicillin and she died. That's when I first got a guinea pig. I hope this gives more clarity to my situation.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:51 am

Thanks for the explanation. That does sound like better care.

Generally, when a pig is having soft poop, the recommendation is to take them of all veggies and see if the poop firms up when eating just hay and pellets. If it does, then add the veggies back, one at a time, 2-3 days between each new one, and see if you can figure out which one is causing it. Antibiotics do generally upset the GI tract, and sometimes it's several weeks before things settle back down to normal.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Are you still giving eye drops? What kind? How often?

If the eye is dull, if your guinea pig cannot close the eye and/or there is no lubrication getting to the eye, it is important to lubricate they eye manually. Usually an ophthalmic cream is prescribed (stays in the eye better than drops). Call your vet if the eye is drying out. This will cause loss of the eye.

angel12034

Post   » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:45 pm

She is only getting hay and pellets for last two weeks. I've been doing some junk pellets just to try to get weight on her. Would you recommend to keep doing just poop soup? I only used the drops for one week as prescribed. They were antibiotics drops. I don't think it is drying out but maybe it is. It is flat and dull looking as opposed to her other eye which is moist and rounded. Is there an OTC due ointment that I can use? I really appreciate the help!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Poop soup could work, but I definitely wouldn't recommend junk pellets. They're the equivalent of giving a kid candy instead of healthy meat and veggies. Stop them and see if the poop firms up.

There's no OTC eye ointment that I know of, unfortunately.

angel12034

Post   » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:40 pm

Thank you! I will remove the junk pellets.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1