possible abscess?

alcyone

Post   » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:00 am

Today I noticed a large lump near Leo's right hind leg. I think it might be an abscess. I'm super worried and while initially he doesn't seem in pain, he does seem to be in some discomfort. I will take him to the vet but I'd really appreciate any advice regarding this. Leo is 6 years old and usually very healthy. He's walking around his cage normally but with a bit of a strange gait because of the lump. I think it might also be a lipoma / a harmless tumor?

thank you in advance.

Kimera

Post   » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:15 am

It looks like a sebaceous cyst, the location is typical. At this size it needs to be removed surgically and cleaned out as soon as possible. While cysts are not dangerous when small, they can get infected at any time, and they grow, straining the skin painfully. They can also burst and leave big, painful wound open to infection.
Get an appointment at a cavy knowledgeable veterinarian asap.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:24 am

Did this appear suddenly? The more sudden, the higher the likelihood of infection. A cyst of this size, as Kimera suggests, should be removed asap.

Let us know what the vet says. And let me know if you'd like your photos added permanently to your post for future readers.

alcyone

Post   » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:27 pm

Yes, you can add the photos.

It got to this size suddenly, but before when he sat it looked like he was just resting his weight on his right side ? From its location I used to think it was just his thigh muscle and not an abnormal lump, if that makes sense. (when it was much smaller) I'll definitely take him to the vet as soon as possible though I'm worried about the outcome of surgery, having read some negative stories about owners with similar experiences. Guinea pigs being so fragile and all, I worry about something going wrong. Luckily Leo has always been a healthy cavy.

i'll keep you updated

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:51 pm

As surgeries go, this is easier as it is less-invasive. You want a basically healthy guinea pig and an appropriate anesthetic. And a skilled vet, of course.
www.guinealynx.info/surgery.html
www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

I'll go add your pictures.

alcyone

Post   » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:05 pm

Leo was put to sleep today

The vet said it was a mammary tumor. While it could be removed with surgery, the cancer would remain and spread anyways. I didn't want to euthanize him at first but since the tumor had grown so much in such a short time (2 days ago I noticed it this size) it would only get worse. Eventually he would not be able to walk with the size of the tumor. When we checked his abdomen his right nipple was black, which is another sign of mammary tumors.

The lump was already spreading to his leg and when the vet pricked the tumor there was only blood. He said that for him to still be alive with a tumor that size Leo had to be very strong. And he was, even with the sedative before the actual euthanasia he was trying to move and he took a long time to sleep

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:28 pm

I am so sorry.

I have never seen a mammary tumor in that location.

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:42 am

I'm very sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, little one.

alcyone

Post   » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:05 pm

@ lynx I looked up pictures of mammary tumors and none of them really resemble Leo's lump. Though the lump did start at the nipple (which was black and crusty, though his skin was pink) I haven't seen pictures of mammary tumors spreading to the side of the body like it did for Leo. I can't stop thinking of what it could have been if not that. It grew ridiculously fast, so maybe it was just very advanced. The vet was sure that it was a tumor, and also said it was very vascularized. I miss Leo so much, I was told that even if I tried surgery, at this point the cancer was already spread.

A sebaceous cyst is supposed to be filled with keratin material, not blood right?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Yes, that's correct about the sebaceous cyst.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:51 pm

It does sound like it was very fast growing. I wish it had been treatable.

11 posts • Page 1 of 1