STEVE!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:40 am

I give both heart pigs here Vetmedin, Prillium and Prilactone (aka Benazepril). Those work well on pigs with a bad signal to make the hart operate, so the heart gets enlarged. What does your vet say about those? No furosemide here yet, vets here only give that as a last resort extra on to of those 3 heart meds.

I have maintained a strict low calcium diet for all pigs since over 5 years and it has helped to prevent a stone formation so far. The last 3 pigs were definitely candidates, they peed crystal soup with large crystals when they arrived, only one had mildly cloudy pee after.

I am so sorry that you have to see Steve struggle.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Something seemed to happen on Friday, and by Saturday Steve was extra unhappy and declining to eat. I got him in for an emergency appointment yesterday morning and Dr. A said the stone had definitely shifted and that he was completely obstructed. He peed a little on Saturday and Sunday, but what he did squeeze out was cherry red, so I suspected that was what happened. Dr. A was willing to do an emergency catheter and see if she could get the stone out that way, but given that it too would have required anesthesia, and that his heart was still so enlarged, I decided I didn't want to go that route.

Which is a fancy way of saying that Steve left us yesterday morning. He was a really sweet guy and I'm grateful for the year and a half we had him -- and I'm glad to know that his last year and a half were much better than whatever came before. But it's always shitty anyway.

Thanks for the advice and support, as always!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:19 pm

I'm so sorry, Alden. And so glad he spent his last months in your good care.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:29 pm

I am so sorry. I wish we had no need of the medical forum and our pets did not have to deal with these illnesses.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:49 am

I so so sorry you lost Steve! I know how much he meant to you both! RIP little man. Run free in perfect health and forever young! No longer in pain! Munch of the green grass and do zoomies to your hearts content! You were so loved by your slaves and by so many you never even met you! So glad you found love and happiness in the last year and a bit. RIP little one, it's sad to say good-bye but think how happy it will be to say hello again! Sending big hugs to you both and to the piggies!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:03 pm

I'm very sorry you lost little Steve. He will be missed by all. Sending hugs.

Rest in peace, little one.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:01 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. Steve was a lucky little boy to have found his way into your home and to have your love.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:57 am

I'm so sorry you've lost Steve. Sleep well little pig.