Squeaks when pooping but not peeing

LoveMyPigPig

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:31 pm

I have a four year old female named Molly. In the last couple of days, she has started squeaking when she passes a pellet, not loudly, but consistently enough that I have noticed. She acts normal in every other way, and does not seem to have any difficulty in peeing. She has always been a good drinker, and needs her cage changed every two days or so because she gets it so wet. This has not changed, and she continues to drain her water bottle at least halfway each day. Her cage is messy as usual, but with no signs of diarrhea or blood or anything. I haven't noticed a change in eating habits, either.

She has free-feed Oxbow pellets every day and regular small "treats" from several members of the family throughout the day, but we have not been good about making sure she has leafy greens recently. She loves grass, but we had the lawn sprayed awhile back, so haven't fed that in almost a month. She doesn't like most green stuff other than grass much, actually, and prefers the less healthy treats like bits of banana, peanut butter on bread, raisins, an occasional Cheerio...

I read some of the posts on Bladder Stones and am wondering if this could be the cause? Is it possible for bladder stones to cause pain only when pooping? Is this something that can be treated at home or does it require a vet?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:59 pm

It's a classic sign of bladder stones. And unfortunately, you can't treat it at home. You cal alter the diet to possibly reduce the chances of a recurrence.

If the stone is small enough, she may be able to pass it. If not, it will require surgery. The big danger is of the stone completely blocking the urethra, as that's a dire emergency requiring immediate treatment.

She's an herbivore, which means her diet should be mostly grasses and greens, definitely not peanut butter or raisins.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:53 am

and prefers the less healthy treats like bits of banana, peanut butter on bread, raisins, an occasional Cheerio...
Cut that out! These are not appropriate foods for guinea pigs!
diet.html
fave.html

Ditto bpatters on the likelihood of this being stones. Sounds classic.
stones.html