barbells

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:45 pm

Hey, as Nurgle pointed out, the pills have some volume also. Your figures will not be accurate.

Now that you dissolved 2 tabs in 0.9ml of water, draw the whole thing into a 1cc syringe. If it doesn't fit (because the pills understandably displace more than 0.1cc of water) you will have to adjust it.

This is the same sort of thing I had to deal with when figuring the horse paste. The paste is not listed by volume, but by weight so diluting was tricky.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:48 pm

Well then, I'm most likely in trouble, because I had the 22.7 mg pills and my vet told me a quarter of a pill per dose. I just broke the tablet into quarters and shoved each piece into their mouths with a hematocrit. No pigs died here, anyway....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
OK, I went and checked Squeaks page, and apparently that is fine. EAch quarter of a pill gives you 5.68 mgs, which is within the 2.5-10 mg range. Whew.

Hey Chary, you could do it this way if you wanted. MUCH easier than diluting, syringing, etc.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:14 pm

he he. This is all too confusing and I'm really just treading water here.

The dilution method is not bad. Pulling all of them out for Baytril twice a day is no pignic, but I think shoving pills into all of their little mouths might be a little more effort than I can muster right now.

Thanks, KM, for donating the Baytril!

Pigglies

Post   » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:22 pm

I just broke the tablet into quarters and shoved each piece into their mouths with a hematocrit.
Can't help myself, sorry... but don't you mean hemostat? A hematocrit is when they do those little sticks with blood, spin them in a centrifuge, and do a blood count.

I've tried giving pills with those evil sticks that have a rubber tip and those are so difficult because the animal always spits it out or the pill doesn't fall out into their mouth. So maybe a hemostat would work better.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:39 pm

...or maybe a roach clip...

melcvt00

Post   » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:51 pm

Umm...just a thought, but what about refiguring doses for 22.7mg/ml?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:10 am

I think the quarter pill thing sounds good. Must say I had a hell of a time a couple years ago giving pills though. Ended up crushing it in water and syringing the dose. Yes, I'm sure KM meant a hemostat. It's listed in the Rural Emergency Guide: https://www.guinealynx.info/findingavet. ... dicalguide

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:44 am

That's a good idea, Mel. Why don't you come over and refigure the doses for 34 pigs? I'll be waiting.

Pigglies

Post   » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:05 am

Diluting Baytril usually works pretty good, and it can also be combined with certain other medications (I've had to smash it together so many times with other meds to create a suspension at the animal hospital and then shake it all up for people... if only we had a homogenizing machine it would be so much easier than all that shaking LOL).

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:17 am

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I will stick with my original plan to just drink myself unconscious and hope that these pigs are all gone when I wake up in the morning.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:15 am

What I said has nothing to do with the weight of the pills; I was wondering if it all would actually dissolve into water.

If a pill says it is a 22.7 mg Baytril pill, then there is 22.7 mg of Baytril in the pill, but the pill (if you could weigh such a tiny thing at home) would weigh more because of the filler. The 22.7 mg is absolute, this is the dosage of Baytril. Your/our calculations are just fine, there is absolutely no need to adjust the calculations. If you want to be correct in your dosing, you fill to 0.9 mL, but that would be very difficult in the home. Another idea is to dissolve the pills into as little volume of water as you can (say 0.5 mL), suck that slurry up into the syringe, then fill the rest of the syringe (to the 0.9 mL) with water. Squirt it out again, mix it up, and there you go. If you have 10 mL syringes, it would be much easier, just take all the numbers times 10. Larger quantities are easier to deal with. Or maybe you need to order some flasks...

Of course, if you want to refigure for the 22.7mg/mL as Mel suggests, that is an entirely different (and voluntary) proposition. 1/4 pill per piggie sounds so much simpler...

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:24 am

If the above post is incoherant, I would like to point out that I have been at work all night, after having been up since 7:45 am to see my daughter off to school. I may have said things that have already been said...