Advice on Post-Dental Recovery

oliviasdad

Post   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:14 pm

One of our female guinea pigs had dental surgery six days ago to cut back a molar that had arched across the mouth and was restricting her tongue and affecting her eating.

Surgery was under general anesthetic and according to the vet, went well. We were given Critical Care and Meloxicam for post-surgery care.

Crunchie was in a bit of a sorry state the day after and we were quite worried she would go further downhill. However, she's been eating mashed up Oxbox pellets, mixed with Critical Care and warm water on her own. She's also been nibbling Oaten Hay on and off, albeit very gingerly. Her weight for the past couple of days has hovered around 650g; no weight on, but no dramatic weight loss.

Crunchie has been urinating a lot - literally soaking the bottom of her igloo. Her backside is dry though. Could this be down to the water content of the mash mixture?

She has also been making little grunting sounds every so often and gnashing her teeth; the hair under her chin is wet from salivating. Are these generally after-effects of the dental work? She loves getting the Meloxicam, which seems to be taking the edge off for her.

She has been spending a lot of time in her igloo, but when she's been out for floor time with other pig, she's been running around and seems relatively lively considering.

From what I've picked up online, the road to recovery from dental work can be quite long - weeks and months? I think we had an unrealistic expectation that she'd bounce back quickly. I'd love to know what other people have experienced with their pigs, both with post-dental behaviour and recovery time.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:48 pm

I think it depends on the guinea pig and the skill of the veterinarian. The grunting you mention, is it associated with peeing or passing droppings? I hope there is not a complicating issue, but look over:
www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

What is the concentration of the Meloxicam? How much are you giving?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:10 pm

Ditto Lynx on reading about stones. The grunting sounds, if she's pooping, are pretty classic for stones. The soaked bedding could be because she's not moving as much.

The drooling is normal after dental work. Most pigs seem to recover well after a few days, but some do have longer convalescences.

oliviasdad

Post   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:21 pm

Thanks for the quick replies.

I don't think the grunting sound was to do with peeing or pooing. Crunch was making it during laptime and she didn't poo or pee. She hasn't made the sound since. In hindsight, it may have been due to the thinly sliced carrot we tried to give her. I think she may have had a small bit stuck in her mouth/throat.

We're currently giving her 0.1 of Meloxicam, twice daily; morning and evening. No difficulty giving it to her; she literally grabs the syringe with her mouth!

I think we're doing all we can, but it doesn't stop the worry. On the other hand, my daughter (age 7) has taken Crunchie's predicament in her stride, helping with the medication and care-giving.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:03 am

What concentration is the meloxicam? (Standard concentrations are 1.5 mg/mL and 0.5 mg/mL.)

You may be able to go up a little on the meloxicam.

Ditto the advice you have received. Dental trim recovery is wildly inconsistent. Some pigs are fine the minute they get home from the vet; for others it's a slow recovery spanning weeks, and everywhere in between.

Guinea pigs' mouths are very, very small and it's almost impossible for even a good surgeon not to nick a cheek or gum in the process. Hang in with her. Hopefully she will show significant recovery steps soon.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:40 am

When our Jessie got her teeth done by Dr Mason she would be in pain for a week or two. BUT when Carol or Kirsty did her teeth, they only gassed her no other drugs. When they did this Jessie bounced back as soon as her little eyes opened. Our vets were not knowledgeable but Jessie taught them so mouth about guinea pigs and their teeth. Jessie would get her teeth done every 2-5 weeks as she couldn't eat by herself.

You may wish to put some Timothy hay through a coffee grinder and add to the mix to give Olivia to give more fiber. Is the Metacam the cat or dog version? The dog one is stronger than the cat one, most vets will give guinea pigs the cat one. Sending healing vibes to you and Olivia, make sure you keep her warm too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:17 am

You can use this page to determine the amount of Meloxicam you are giving in mg/kg (the IMPORTANT number).
www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

oliviasdad

Post   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:29 pm

The Meloxicam is the 'Dog Version', with a concentration of 1.5mg/mL according to the box.

Great idea about grinding hay into the pellet mash - I'll try that today. The mash is the only thing that Crunch will eat in good quantities. I mixed a bit of veggie baby food in with the mash yesterday, but she was wasn't overly plussed with it. I think Crunch likes her mash plain and simple.

Lot less urine over the past 24 hours too. Her igloo was slightly damp, rather than soaked, which is good. Weight seems steady too; 642g this morning.

I reckon that it's going to be a case of very minor improvements each day. Just need to be patient and try to stop stressing!

Thanks for all the great advice - very much appreciated.

oliviasdad

Post   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:14 pm

Good news at last. Crunchie is putting on weight and seems to be slowly recovering from her dental ordeal.

The only problem now is that she's only eating the pellet mash we're giving her. We're putting in some oat bran with it and I think this is helping with the weight gain. She has been chewing on the syringe when getting her Meloxicam, so her teeth are probably capable of chewing food. We've been offering fresh leaves, which she did love, and she's always had unlimited hay.

Any good tips for how we might redress the balance between pellet mash, veggies and hay?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:16 pm

Is she eating any hay? I don't know how to enforce eating certain amounts of various substances but would continue to have good quality foods available all the time and hope she normalizes.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:29 am

Ditto Lynx.

Guinea pigs don't become psychologically dependent on handfeeding, and you can't 'discipline' an herbivore to eat properly the way you can a dog or child.

She'll eat normally when she's ready to; the problem is that it's hard for us to tell when that is, from the 'outside in'. It would of course help if they could talk. ;-)

Keep feeding her the pellet mash in the meantime.