Bite turned into a cyst?

xgumbox

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:18 pm

(Let me start this off by saying that I have no idea why I didn't write this sooner)
About 5 months ago I only had two guinea pigs, Kyre and Moe, and they were doing pretty good together (even with the occasional argument). I think it was April 10th when the first *ACTUAL* fight broke out between them, and they've had to be separated ever since.
Earlier that day I fed them both before I went to school, and they seemed to be pretty nice to each other at the time; but then when I came back home I noticed that Kyre was sitting curled up in the corner of the cage, and he never really did that, so I picked him up and saw that his ear was split in half, his nose had a massive gash on it, and had multiple bites on his back, but Moe only had a few scratches. I took Kyre to the vet as soon as I possibly could and they gave him medications and advice for me, and all of the wounds have been healed by now.
But when I first took him out of the cage I noticed that he had a clump of hair kind of popping out of his side where he got bit, so I gently tugged on it to see what was up, and it just came out with some skin and (what I think was) puss. And as stupid as I am, I took tweezers to try and pull some of the puss out, and then I cleaned his wound.
Ever since he got bit he has had this lump on his left side that is the size of a small bouncy ball, and I don't really know what it is. I thought it was a cyst at first, but over the past few months it has gotten bigger and hardened. I thought that maybe it would go away, but it clearly hasn't.
But lately every time I touch anywhere near the lump at all he freaks out and bites either my clothes or my hand, and he is usually very calm. He's obviously in a lot of pain when I touch it, but not when I don't.
I don't want him to go through surgery because he is 8 years old and I don't want his wound to get infected or something afterwards, so does anyone know what's on him and what I can do about it?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:32 pm

It's no doubt an abscess, and it needs to be lanced. It's a fairly easy procedure, and probably will not require general anesthesia. I'd get him to a good exotic vet and have it taken care of, since it obviously bothers him.

You'll have to keep it open after it's drained so it will heal from the inside out. The vet should give you some saline solution and a syringe for flushing it, which you'll need to do twice a day.

Good luck with him, and let us know how you get along.

xgumbox

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:40 pm

Thank you !! I'll keep you updated

xgumbox

Post   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:25 pm

well, we went to the vet and it went very well !! turns out the lump was just a skin flap and there was some cystic debris, so we got some pain medication and i was told to just keep an eye on it !! they said that if it comes back they may have to preform surgery, but i'm hoping that he's going to be okay !!

4 posts • Page 1 of 1