Rate of weight gain on my sow

mllong

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Is there an approximate speed of weight gain for a 3-4 month old guinea pig? I am currently keeping a close eye on my female who was living with a her son until the realization came that he was a male. There is about a month window where he could have impregnated her. Appearance of her is not showing significant increase in size but she went from 690 gram to 742 grams in 10 days.

She is growing still but is this normal or a possible pregnancy?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:26 pm

A pregnancy is possible if she was with a male for a month. You won't know until she's about 5-6 weeks along unless there's another female of about the same age you can compare weights with.

Here's a post I wrote for another forum about how/when you can know your pig is pregnant: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/103012-How-can- ... along-is-she

mllong

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Thank you. I did already read your post. It is helpful. I am a bit concerned because I am leaving the country and will have a caretaker who has experience but I hate to leave it in their hands.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:19 pm

You would, of course, watch for her body shape to change, too. There are some weight charts for pups here - unsure if we have any for adolescent pigs. Maybe we should put some up, if anyone has good data on several guinea pigs.

www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

4 posts • Page 1 of 1