UTI and Baytril

HamletnBear

Post   » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:43 pm

I noticed blood in my guinea pigs pee the last week of August and called the vet to ask for baytril. They said they would call us back and didn't do so until last week with a higher dosage of baytril. In those two weeks it seemed like his UTI was clearing up. There was no blood in his pee and he wasn't crying while peeing anymore.

Before the vet called, I noticed Hamlet started crying again and was trying to figure out what was going on. I figured he still had a uti. I gave him the baytril for almost a week now and during this week his pee has had blood in it, the crying started again, and today I noticed that now when he poops he's also crying.

Do you think the baytril could be making him worse?

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:53 pm

TMS or Bactrim is the preferred drug for a UTI. It has better penetration of the urinary tract than baytril does. At this point I think you also need to have a radiograph performed to determine if your pig has a bladder stone. His discomfort while defecating has bladder stone written all over it.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:57 pm

Ditto Clint The Cuy. This sounds like stones. Read over www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

HamletnBear

Post   » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:56 pm

i have to wait until the 12th of Oct. for him to get the x ray. Also stopped giving him the baytril and he stopped crying while pooping. He's still eating and drinking but crys once or twice randomly in the day. He's still going to get the x ray though to make sure he doesn't or does have bladder stones. Thank you for your help without it i don't think my parents would let him get an x ray. :)

CavyDad

Post   » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:57 pm

Has he been given metacam for pain and inflamation? If he's still crying you might call your vet to see about that to help keep him comfortable before you get him in for an x-ray.

Since you don't know if he has a stone or not, and the x-ray is over a week off, monitor to make sure he's urinating normally. If he's on fleece, it can be hard to tell, so what I did with mine was I'd watch for him to go, and then I'd blot the area with a tissue to make sure urine came out.

For reference, when my boar did obstruct prior to surgery, he made very intense crying noises whenever he tried to pee. It was a different, louder cry than he'd done before while peeing. I'd have to say it was the worst sound I've heard any of them make so far.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1