Emergency!

Phantomhorse

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:12 pm

My three year old girl with a history of pneumonia is having Diarhhea and loud explosions of gas, her entire butt is wett. The vet listened to me but decided she isn’t going to see her because she is closing an hour early. And they don’t open tomorrow. So now I am stuck with a really sick piggy! Help please?!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:16 pm

Boy, what a heartless vet!

Stop all vegetables/fruit immediately. Go get some pedialyte, infant simethicone and Critical Care if you don't have any.

Give 1/4 the infant dose of the simethicone. Offer her the pedialyte (the generic is just as good as the name brand) by syringe -- most pigs love it and will readily take it. Give her as much as she'll drink every few hours. Hand-feed her the critical care?

Has she been on any antibiotic recently? If so, also get some Bene-bac and give to her, or, give her poop soup from a healthy pig.

Has there been any change at all in her diet?

Phantomhorse

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:31 pm

Indeed! She hasn't had any fruit or veggies today, i just gave her about 8 CC's of critical care as well as some fauna flora (probiotic) She hasnt been on an antibiotic since her last pneumonia episode, so it has been about six months. We switched her food about two weeks ago, but i did the quarter method as always, and none of the others had or have an issue. Thank you so much for getting back to me so fast Bpatters, i am a ball of nerves.
Last edited by Phantomhorse on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:34 pm

I can't google up a fauna flora probiotic. Is that the right name? What does it have in it?

Phantomhorse

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:38 pm

It used to be known as healthzyme. It is what the GOOD vet that I usually use recommends (she is at a conference this week) .
Ingredients: Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast cultured on corn, wheat, rye, malt, corn syrup and molasses.
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein: not less than 12%, Crude fat: not less than 3%, Crude fiber: not more than 7%.

Normally I never ever give something with wheat or rye, but it does seem to work, and i trust my good vet with their lives!

Phantomhorse

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:38 pm

But if you can think of something else to give as well, please do!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:05 pm

I'd get something without the yeast. Plain lactobacillus and kyodophilus cultures are frequently used. Bene-bac would also be good if you can find some.

Phantomhorse

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:07 pm

I went out and got pedialyte, but i didnt see any bene-bac.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:14 pm

You won't find Bene-Bac at a pharmacy; it's only for animals.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:20 pm

You might, repeat might, be able to find it at a pet store. Some carry it, some don't. I buy it online and keep it in case of an emergency.

Phantomhorse

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:45 pm

How much Pedialyte do I give her?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:53 pm

As much as she'll take. I usually aim for 10 cc, more if the pig is dehydrated.

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:48 pm

Bene-bac is available via amazon prime, but in the meantime I have seen bene-bac products in Petco before. Not exactly my favorite store, but in times like these you do what you need to. I'd call around to your local stores and see if they have any. That is, if no healthy g-pig poop is available to you.

Phantomhorse

Post   » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:47 pm

Clint, i have five piggies, i have plenty of poop! :) Today she is better, no diharrea, but when she poops they are small and round, and every time she poops one it sounds like you let go of a balloon.

Phantomhorse

Post   » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:47 pm

She now has an appetite and is more alert though :)

15 posts • Page 1 of 1