Frank, a paralyzed pig

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:14 pm

I volunteer at a rescue. We just got in a guinea pig who can't use his hind legs and drags himself with his front paws. He doesn't seem to be in pain and is eating and dropping normally. He's also gaining weight.

I'm starting a thread on him because I expect to have many questions over the next few months.

His x-ray shows a fracture in his hip and spine. The rescue plans to take him in for a follow up check up and another x-ray to check on whether he is healing. My only question now is how long do we wait before getting a second check up and second xray? How long does it take to see bones start to heal?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:57 pm

Is the fracture new? Or has it healed already?

The rate of healing will depend a lot on how old he is. The younger the pig, the quicker the bones repair. Any guesses as to his age?

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:53 pm

He weighs 972 grams, so about 9 months old perhaps.

We don't really know how old the fracture is. The vet seemed to think it was fairly new. Since he hasn't treated a broken bone in a guinea pig yet, he wasn't sure how long it would take to heal.

Background- a person took Frank to the animal control center and said he was a stray. However, his fur is perfect. He doesn't look like he's spent a day outside in his life. Our guess is that the person who took him in was an owner who (or whose kids) injured him. An employee in animal control called a cat rescue volunteer who called us. It's probably been 10 days since he was dropped off at animal control. The vet saw him about a week ago.

I've read past threads on paralyzed guinea pigs, but if anyone has any tips on making them comfortable while you hope they are healing, please post. I think we'll be able to make him a cart if he doesn't regain use of his back legs.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:21 pm

Hoping he does well and gets better! I'm so glad you and the rescue are there for him.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1