Guinea pig rapid eye movement and twitching

Piglet1303

Post   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:15 am

Hi,

This is in regards to my (Almost) three year old sow who, unlike her 'sister' hasn't seemed to have any health issues. About 10 minutes ago she was snuggled into me, head down, similar to how she always is, when I noticed her seemingly twitching and shutting her eyes and opening again. I wouldn't have worried but her left eye (possibly both but I could only see her left) seemed to be moving left and right, like it couldn't focus or stay still. I wasn't sure whether to call this a seizure in the title, as this is the only time I've ever noticed this and afterwards she was acting like nothing had happened. When I first noticed this I may have picked her up a little and she snapped out of it, my first thought was that she had quickly fallen asleep yet her body hadn't realised. I looked up possibilities of seizures and the main three things I found was a lack of calcium, mites and overheating. Mites is possible but slim, I had just treated her, my other sow and all their stuff as a precaution. Lack of calcium --> They are on the exact same diet they have been all their adult lives. Overheating it is possible, she was snuggled into me and I have a fairly fluffy top on and its already quite warm, but then again when I moved her she straight away tried to get under a blanket again. She isn't showing signs of heat stress, but I've offered her watermelon and she is currently nibbling on cucumber.

So with all this I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if this is a one time occurrence if I need to worry. I do want to take her and her sister to the vet, but the centre we currently go to is only really good for nail trims and general assessments, our exotic animal vet is almost two hours round trip and where I am is supposed to have some of the hottest days of the year soon so I don't want to take them on that long of a car ride.

Anyway thanks for your time in reading this

Piglet1303

Post   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:38 am

it won't let me edit but I was doing more research and realised it may have just been me seeing her REM in sleep? i'm not 100% sure, I've watched her 'sleep' a lot and I've never seen it but any clarification/guidance is welcome

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:48 am

It may be REM sleep. It doesn't sound like anything to worry about to me, at least not at this stage. Just keep observing her, and if things progress to more definite seizure-like activity, then do see the vet.

As long as your car is air conditioned, a two-hour round trip ride is no problem. I do nearly that every time I take a pig to the vet, and if it's summer, the temperature is always approaching 100 degrees.

Piglet1303

Post   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:23 am

Thanks for your reply. I think me not wanting to take them on a long drive in warm weather is because I personally hate being in the car in the same weather, but if I do have to take them I'll just avoid the days where we are expected to have 110-ish (sorry, not 100% sure on conversions) when it was 75-80 last week!

4 posts • Page 1 of 1