Help Please!!!

Svilena55

Post   » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:51 am

She doesn't drink so she gets her water through veggies. She gets a big pile of lettuce (two small hands) (romaine/red leaf/sometimes spinach or kale/butter lettuce), cucumber, pepper, sometimes whey store bought pet grass, and sometimes parsley - twice a day (morning and evening). I leave that for her with also plenty piles of hay (timothy) and pallets (timothy). Also, when I don't think that she had enough fluids I also give a small syringe of water when I get home from work. Every other day she might get a grape or a piece of apple. Also, she begs for yogurt drops which I give her 1-3 a day. They have vit c. And, I give benebec and 2-3 drops of vit C directly through a syringe. Since she had the bayril a month ago, her digestive has been off (but also about 1 month before the baytril), so I am also supplementing with critical care and crushed timothy digestive enzymes mixed in with the critical care.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:27 pm

Too many veggies. Cut her back to a little more than a cup per day.

Parsley, spinach and kale are very high in calcium. I don't feed any of those to my pigs.

Yogurt drops are no good. Pigs are lactose intolerant, and indeed, they may be the cause of the problems with the poop.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Tear drop poops may also mean your guinea pig is not eating enough.

Svilena55

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:54 am

Quick question: what temp is good for the pigs? I have it at 72-75 degrees. Also, is a humidifier for the Chicago winter advisable for piggies?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:14 pm

Unless they're skinnies, piggies are just little balls of fat and fur, and they handle cooler temps better than warmer. 72 is fine, but 65 would also be fine.

Humidifiers are advisable for anything in a Chicago winter if you've got a dry form of heat, but keep the filters cleaned. You don't want to spread fungi spores around the house. They don't NEED the humidifier, though, unless you see signs of dry skin.

Svilena55

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Thank you

Svilena55

Post   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:30 pm

Says today, one thing I noticed is that my pig has clear liquid coming out of one of her nostrils. No other symptoms. This has happened before where she would sneeze or clean herself and there's a little bit of liquid coming out of one nostril. It would happen on and off for about a year. Should I be concerned? No other symptoms at this point. I have a humidifier to help with the dry heat here in Chicago and I turned it on today after I noticed her nostril. Thank you for the help.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:44 pm

If it's clear, it's not likely to be from an infection. I would continue to watch to make sure it doesn't deteriorate.

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:58 am

Svilena, did the vet end up taking follow-up radiographs of your pig? Just curious.

As bpatters stated, clear nasal discharge isn’t usually a red flag.

Svilena55

Post   » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:56 am

No, not yet. I want more time to pass, especially because her breathing is fine and she has returned back to normal, already for two months now. I don't want to make her go through unnecessary x-rays. I might repeat them in a few months, depending on how things go. However, this morning new development on the table. I didn't find any poo. She's usually not active at night and there's only a couple of Poo, but this morning I didn't find any. The last time I saw her poop was probably about 9:30 PM. It's about 8 AM and I still haven't seen any problem. I have given her some olive oil, which was helping in the past when she was having issues due to BayTril. I also gave her a little bit of anti-inflammatory pain med in case there's inflammation in the stomach. My question is, when should I give her motility drugs if necessary? I have motility drugs steal from the prescription from two months ago when she was on Antibiotic. Her weight has been stable since I stabilized her for about one and I half months now. However, since the Antibiotics hat she took about two months ago, but I just of system has been off here and there, but I would stabilize it with hand feeding hey, they just of enzymes, olive oil, etc. Just worried about not seeing any poo. Do you only other thing that I can think off is I gave her a little bit of broccoli yesterday morning, she hasn't had broccoli month and I just gave her a little bit for variety in her diet. Not sure if maybe that contributed somehow to her issues.

Svilena55

Post   » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:05 am

Finally, my boyfriend with watching the piggy today showed me a picture of some poop. Maybe only five, and they look a little weird and teardrop shaped. At least it's something. We will monitor her closely. Anything else that I should be giving her? I don't want to give her maturity drugs unless she absolutely needs them. Now that I saw a few poops, I will see if she can normalize by herself without unnecessary drugs. But if you have any other suggestions or ideas, let me know.

Svilena55

Post   » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:07 am

Motility drugs *