Sick guinea pig

hipxop

Post   » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:48 am

Thank you for your replies guys. I will ask the vet about combining some antibiotics Should I ask him for Bactrim? She’s currently on baytril. Her stuffy nose seems to have gone away and she’s breathing normally now but still sneezing occasionally. I read through the heart disease link but besides sneezing and the previous stuffy nose she has none of the symptoms. Also her heart was normal on the X-ray and she had no fluid in the lungs. However, most the symptoms were present in my other guinea pig right before she passed away. I know it’s impossible to tell without a necropsy but it looks like she had a heart problem.

Also I just got back the results for the urine test and she has no bacteria present which surprised me, but then again she never cries when she urinates. What else would cause blood in the urine? The vet said maybe it was a virus? Also would there be a pink tint to her urine if there was blood? Because I keep placing her on paper towel and her urine has just a yellowish tint but no pink or red.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:12 am

Blood in urine can also be caused by pyometra (an infection of the uterus). There can also be an irritation of the bladder (interstitial cystitis). Read over:
http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21

I don't understand your saying she has a pink tint to her urine and then saying it is only a yellowish tint.

hipxop

Post   » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:35 am

Thank you for the links. No I am asking if you would be able to see a red/pink tint to the urine if there was blood. She doesn’t have any red or pink tint just yellow. Also I’ll talk to the vet about those two other possibilities.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:58 am

She may just have trace blood in the urine, which sometimes just happens. It can be found using a dipstick or other urine test, but can't be seen when looking at the sample.

hipxop

Post   » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:49 am

When the vet took the urine sample there were what looked like little grains in the urine. I thought that was the blood because otherwise there was no red or pink in her urine. Or maybe that’s due to her eating too much calcium, I’ve been trying to reduce it recently due to the fear of stone formation, but she loves her spinach and dandelion greens.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:35 am

If she's got grit in her urine and you're feeding her spinach and dandelion, you're definitely looking at a painful and expensive bladder stone episode down the road. She may be genetically prone to them, or it may be solely due to diet. If genetics, altering her diet won't help much. But it not, you can save her a lot of pain and yourself a lot of money and worry by changing her diet.

She may love spinach and dandelion, but she's not going to turn her nose up at red or green leaf lettuce, either of which is a much better choice of greens for her.

hipxop

Post   » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:54 pm

Right, I’ll change her diet, I’d rather not cause her any pain in the future. The vet mentioned she had crystals in her urime so perhaps he was referring to the grit/extra calcium? Can this extra calcium irritate the bladder and cause blood in the urine?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Yes it could. Read the links on the interstitial cystitis link I posted above.

28 posts