my guinea pig died suddenly

kat845

Post   » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:55 am

Can please somebody help, my son and I had this guinea pig almost a year, and yesterday he suddenly died. He look like he was in good health, he eat good balance food and his cage was always clean. He was little bit on the lazy side but other than that he was just fine. The day before he died I gave him a bath (but he was use to that because we always giving him baths) after the bath he was quiet, the next day I did not pay too much attention on him (I was at work) so when I came home he was all limb, disoriented and he barely walk, he also struggles breathing and his eyes were all watery. We took him immediately to the vet but they couldn’t do anything for him he died. I don’t know what I did wrong? Did the bath kill him? Was he sick from before? Does somebody else had similar experience, now I am just blaming myself.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:58 am

I'm so sorry you lost him.

No, the bath didn't kill him. The only clue in what you've said is that he "was a bit on the lazy side," which could indicate that he had heart disease. But there's no way really know without having had a necropsy done.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:30 pm

I am so sorry you lost him. I agree a necropsy might have helped.

Necropsies can sometimes provide a pet owner with the information they need to understand what happened.

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:39 pm

I, too, am very sorry you lost him. As said above, the only way to know what happened to him would have been having a necropsy done.

Rest in peace, little one. You are loved and missed.

kat845

Post   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:08 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Elvis was part of my family he was loved and now he is missed... I feel so guilty for his dead... could I have done something different, should I have watch much closer into his behavior, maybe he had something going on with him and was fighting it but I gave him a bath and maybe make things even worst. Somebody said to me “come on he’s only a guinea pig. Why being so sad for a guinea pig”. And I think so what if he’s only a guinea pig, does that mean that his life worth lass ... In my eyes he was a Gods creature and he was loved and he is missed so much in my family. RIP Elvis mom loves you so much

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:20 am

Since piggies are prey animals, they hide their illnesses well. No need to feel guilty. And unfortunately, just like humans, they can just die all of a sudden. So sorry for your loss.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1