Maggots?

xgumbox

Post   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:39 pm

So I was cleaning my pig's cage today and I noticed something funny about the bedding, so I just came on here. (I don't want anyone to read this and think that I am a bad owner right away, so I just wanted to say ahead of time that I change their cages every three days) While I was cleaning out their bedding i noticed a really wet looking spot in the corner, which was probably just pee, and i took my scooper and moved it so that I could throw the bedding away, but then I saw these weird looking maggot type of things as soon as i scooped up the bedding from that corner ?? There wen't that many, but they still kind of concerned me.
The last time this happened was when I had to house my guinea pig in a tank temporarily, but none of my pigs are in tanks anymore. Has anyone else had this problem?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:41 pm

Do you have pictures? Is fresh food uneaten? Look over your guinea pigs closely and check for injuries. Do you have flies?

xgumbox

Post   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:46 pm

I don't have any pictures, but the pig that has the worm looking bugs in his cage was one that I got about two months ago. I don't really have an issue with flies either because my cats tend to eat them, so I don't really know why they are there.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:14 pm

Well, maggots are part of the life cycle of the fly, so flies are laying eggs in the cage. You need to control the fly infestation before you can totally get rid of the maggots. But until then, just clean the cage daily, and that will keep them from hatching.

Kimera

Post   » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:54 am

And please, don't let your cats eat the flies, since they carry a lot of bacteria and parasites, which potentially can infect cats.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1