Gross mass/wound dilemma

xina

Post   » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:12 pm

Hello,

I haven't been here in ages, but I need advice now. Our 7 1/2 year old piggie, Amy (whose sister died a year ago, sadly; and I'm not getting more pigs) has had a "mass" on her neck for years. It was very small originally and mostly covered by her fur. I took her to the vet then and she said it was benign and the only option was to remove it surgically for $400. I said I'd think about it. It kind of came and went, and it has never affected her behavior or seemed to bother her in the least.

It looked really big and bad a few weeks ago, so I went back to the vet, who again said the only way to deal with it was surgery, which would be very risky. She gave us an oral antibiotic since it seemed slightly infected, but said topical treatments were not an option for this kind of thing.

Today it looks really big and bad and GROSS. Still, she is munching away happily as if nothing is there. It feels wrong to do nothing, but no way am I going to spend hundreds on risky surgery for an elderly piggie.

What would you do?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:06 pm

Did the vet suggest lancing it and cleaning it out? It could be flushed a couple times a day with a warm saline solution which might help it. If it is infected now, is she still getting the oral antibiotic?

I would consider seeing another vet. This is the kind of thing that can be taken care of.

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:30 pm

Did the vet perform a fine needle aspirate of the mass to determine what it is? Does the mass have a foul odor now? Do you have any pictures that you can post?

Tumors that grow large enough tend to outgrow their blood supply. Because of this, they become necrotic and a non-healing wound forms.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:56 am

You can send an image to me if you have a nice clear picture to illustrate it:

4 posts • Page 1 of 1