Baby pig with URI

Britpigmum

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:25 pm


Okay, so we're a week into treatment and I'm starting to get concerned that these antibiotics aren't kicking it. She's still sneezing a lot and we're still getting nasal discharge. It's clear and it seems to only be one nostril at a time. It's not a lot but it's worrying. Should we have had more progress than this by now?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:32 pm


The antibiotic may not be effective against that organism. Without reading back, have they tried something else? Doxycycline? A nebulized antibiotic?

Britpigmum

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:56 pm


Not yet, no. She's due her review on Monday. What's Doxycycline like for young pigs?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:34 pm


It's not as strong as Baytril, but doesn't have the side effects. And it's better than Bactrim. And they can nebulize even stronger meds, such as gentamycin.

Britpigmum

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:49 pm


Okay thank you, if she's still not showing vast improvement Monday I will ask her to be switched. She's much better than she was, there's no pops in her breathing and no wheezing, it's just in her nose. But I really want to ensure we get this thing beat.

Britpigmum

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:34 am


Okay. Where we're at now:

Baby pig has lice too. Treated topically with selamectin Monday, another dose in 14 days.

URI is much better but can't shake the sneezing. So vet has suggested nebulsing with diluted F10 solution. Because she suspects that the root of the infection may be fungal as opposed to solely bacterial. We're continuing with the sulfatrim and going to try the nebulised F10 alongside this, in the hopes of finally stamping it out.

Also, we're going to start oral itraconazole (Sporanox), as we can't bathe the piggy while her chest is still recovering. The vet has voiced concerns that this may be a little harsh on her gut. I've spoken to a couple of members on other forums and they have reported no tummy difficulties when they've used this drug, and have sung it's praises highly for it's efficacy.

Can other people please weigh in? What are you experiences with itraconazole? Did it cause any gastric difficulties for your pigs?

The guinea pig in question is now 10 weeks old btw.

Britpigmum

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:14 am


Also, could a mod please edit the title of my thread? Seeing as it's not just a URI. It's URI/Fungal/Lice.

Jeez... How this little one is surviving all this is beyond me.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:11 pm


Oral fungal medicines are rough, rough, rough, on a pig or a human. I'd definitely always give it with food, weigh daily to look for weight loss, and give poop soup from a health pig.

But I don't understand why you can't bathe her, as long as you keep her warm and dry her thoroughly afterwards.

Maybe give Lynx the pig's name, and change the name to her medical thread?

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:00 pm


Yes, give me a name and I'll just call it that guinea pig's medical thread.

Britpigmum

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:07 am


Her name is Ceridwen. Thanks.

As for the bathing, the vet agrees it is not safe to do so while she is still displaying respiratory symptoms. She also feels that the fungal infection could be systemic and causing the continued uri. Hence the oral anti fungal. I will ask her for a nasal swab.

Britpigmum

Post   » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:40 am


Hiya, latest developments with this:

We now have confirmation of Ringworm. Because she's given it to me. Vet is happy enough with the progress of her URI that we can now start bathing, so just waiting 48 hours for a patch test to be completed and then we'll be bathing with Malaseb twice a week for 3 weeks. She's also on 0.18ml sporanox once a day, we're giving it with food and supporting her with poop soups, and while it is early days she seems to be tolerating it well. Her appetite and poops are excellent and she's still gaining weight.

We have the nebuliser now, 20 minutes twice a day with diluted F10 solution. She sits quite happily in the chamber eating while we do the sessions and has a nice cuddle with me after.

Her sneezing has dramatically reduced in the last few days, seeing a huge improvement, but we have sent a nasal swab to check for any resistant organisms to be sure and are expecting the results by Friday, in the meantime we are continuing with sulfatrim for a third week.

She's doing really well though, we're all pleased with her progress.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:44 am


Sounds encouraging! Sorry you will be dealing with ringworm yourself but at least you are on top of it.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:22 am


So glad to hear the good news. Except for your ringworm, of course. :-)

Britpigmum

Post   » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:09 pm


Thanks both. I was weirdly relieved on the confirmation that it was Ringworm, because while it is a nightmare to deal with, it does make me feel better about the use of an oral anti fungal, given the risks of side effects. I didn't want to use it glibly, but now we know it's a necessity, really. I'm monitoring her very carefully on it, she's going to be on it for three weeks so will be watching her like a hawk for any ill effects.

Just praying that the swab will come back with no additional nasties. Her lungs and heart still sound good so fingers crossed that another week bashing away with the sulfatrim will round this off.

Just feel so sorry for the little lamb. Nobody should go through what she is, never mind a piggy so young.

Post Reply
34 posts