Big nail

AnimalLover10

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi, I have 2 guinea pigs, both males, and they have a pretty big cage. So, today, I was hanging out with them, and I noticed this huge thing on my guinea pigs nail, and I had no idea what it was. I picked him up and looked at it, It seemed as if it was his actual nail. it didn't look normal or right though, it is quite big. Does anyone know what this is, why he has it, and what to do? Image

AnimalLover10

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:08 pm

His other nails are all fine, and my other guinea pigs nails are all fine too, its just this one in particular.... Oh, and if you are wondering about what other problems my guinea pigs have had, they have both had no problems other than my other guinea pig having growth spurs, but I have been able to manage that. With this one, I have no idea what it is, and I have searched around but I could not find anything related....

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:33 pm

A picture would help. You have to host it on some other site and link to it here. Or, you can message Lynx and ask about sending it to her for her to post.

Is the nail itself just large, or is the whole toe large? And if it's the whole toe, does it look red and swollen? Is there any drainage or odor?

AnimalLover10

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:07 pm

I did send an image, and it seemed fine, but now it doesn't seem to be working so I will fix that in one second. And it seems that just the nail is large, but he seems to be acting normal, and it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Then I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes a nail injury will cause the nail to overgrow, and it will be larger than the others. But if there's no underlying infection and the toe isn't bothering him, it's not likely to be something serious.

AnimalLover10

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:15 pm

https://gm1.ggpht.com/EIWfl_JS447OcO0YZ ... 769-l75-ft Try that, and okay. Thank you for your help, I was kind of worried because I didn't know what it was and what to do about it, I had searched everywhere on the internet and could find nothing, so your help means a lot. Also, if the picture makes the nail look very big, it isn't really, it is just a little bigger than the rest.

AnimalLover10

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:27 pm

One more thing, the nail seems to be kind of dirty, which I don't understand. And is it normal for the nail to get into like a round shape? Not like tall round, but like a flat round shape.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:39 pm

You mean like curled? If so, then yes, most pigs' nails will curl, even more so as they get older.

As far as the dirt goes, you could try soaking it in warm water (a bottle cap makes a good foot bath) and see if it cleans up any.

AnimalLover10

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:50 pm

Okay, I will try soaking his feet later today. And I don't mean curled, but I think he is fine. Like I said, it doesn't seem to be bothering him so that is a good thing. I really don't think its anything serious, because he is acting just like he would normally. Thanks again for your help. :D

Kimera

Post   » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:02 am

The link is either broken or you have a passworded webpage, because I couldn't see the picture.