Will not gain weight!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:43 am

There are guidelines on the weight page for determining if your guinea pig is underweight. They were contributed by a vet (see weigh.html).

Your guinea pig looks small. No way to tell anything without palpating him.

Phantomhorse

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:26 am

Sorry it’s blurry, he wouldn’t sit still. Yes, all three of his siblings are normal size and so were his parents, but he never grew. He was born here though, and he is almost two years old. A lot smaller than all of my others... even his half brothers.

I can see his hip bones and his stomach isn’t big. He doesn’t have any gathered fat under his legs (I’ll admit that some of mine do). The vet has agreed that he is very skinny, but he is eating everything. I am getting an appointment today and will have the vet palpate and feel his thyroid as well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Read the page I put up. Feel the backbone and evaluate using the guidelines on that page.

Phantomhorse

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:38 pm

I have done so Lynx. His backbone is not severely protruded, but is more noticeable at sight and touch than that of a pig with a healthy weight.

4lilPigs

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:13 pm

Hi Phantomhorse,
I am having a very similar issue with my Trapper. He came from Crazy Cavies GP Rescue and he has never really gained weight either. He is 3yo male, weighs 900g when he was healthy. Now hes down to 800g and is literally skin and bones. Similarly, we have never been able to get to the bottom of why he has been chronically ill despite an ear infection that hasn't fully resolved. My vet also went out of the country for 2 weeks and the main vet is now handling his case. Like Diamond, Trapper's hips stick out and he has no meat on his bones.
Also, when Trapper won't eat or drink, I syringe him a mixture of pedialyte/water to hydrate him and work in organic baby food in addition to the Critical Care. I can't get to the vet daily for sub q fluids so this has helped nurse him back. Hope he is feeling better!

Phantomhorse

Post   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:27 am

4lilpigs, you must live near me, as Crazy Cavies is actually not far from me!! I am actually going there today to donate some hay! I don't know. His highest ever weight is 800g... he has never hit 900! I rescued his parents and he was born here, but none of his parents or other three siblings had this issue. Even the true "runt" is much bigger and heavier than him! The vet here isn't interested in why he is always so low on weight, they only want to figure it out if he starts losing again.

4lilPigs

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:34 am

Phantomhorse,
Yes, we live in Ft. Lauderdale. Trapper has always very slight but he has never been truly healthy since we adopted him. He came to us with a very severe inner ear infection that ended up as a bone infection. We thought we had that all cleared up but its been now 8 months of back and forth and not really knowing what was making him sick. So I guess because of all that, he has never really thrived. All of his brothers' who came to us underweight at 800-900g as adult piggies are now all up to 1150-1350g. I hope you are able to figure out what is ailing him. Trapper is dealing with possible lymphoma now so we are just keeping him comfortable and giving him lots of kisses! If you are interested in keeping in touch, feel free to PM me and we can exchange contact info.