Crusty nipples -- whitish deposit

my2piggies

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2002 2:27 pm

Has she had her spay yet. How did it go?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2002 3:40 pm

It will be this Wednesday.

my2piggies

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:35 pm

I hope everything goes well. I´ll be interested to hear what the vet finds. I think ours is holding off doing a spay at the moment . He thinks she may have cysts but only small ones as he can´t find anything conclusive.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2002 10:08 pm

I´m really curious as well. It seems like it has to be hormonal -- and it certainly seems like a spay is the recommendation I read for taking care of anything hormonal.

I´ve been putting off thinking about it. Her weight is pretty stable right now, her behavior has calmed down the last couple of days but I know what ever is bugging her is still there.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:00 pm

-- and it certainly seems like a spay is the recommendation I read for taking care of anything hormonal.

Yeah, well, it looks like I´ll have to be spayed soon, then.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:27 pm

I know. Sounds pretty drastic, no? It will prevent any reproductive problems later on (ovarian cysts, pyometra (sp?) etc.).

Let us know if it helps.

Sonia

Post   » Tue Feb 05, 2002 10:55 am

I just had to reply. I was just going to post on the very same thing !!! Tizzy, the mainiacal guinea pig who attacks my other Gp, Piggy, but not Bramble ( all are girls ), has had that all her life. We think she´s around three or four yrs old now. She has always had the crusting exactly as your piggy does. She has the largest genitals and nipples I´ve seen on a piggie, but not so large that it interfers with how she lives. I just assumed it was sweat build up or a slight discharge from her nipples. She has been checked, and they took a sample to investigate, at the Cambridge Cavy Trust. £98 later and nothing out of the ordinary was revealed. She is in fine health.

The sweat build up idea came from finding out that after a good run around session ( me scrambling around on the floor in an attempt to catch her ! ) made it supple, and loose enough to slide gently off. I´ve also noticed that, during the heat wave last summer, she was sweaty after floortime in the late afternoon, and her nipples would be clear, but by morning, she would have a pale creamy coloured crusting on her nipples again, always at the point where the nipples are folded a little over, and along the nipple itself. My mother who works with elderly people said,once she was washing a lady who refused to let anyone wash her tummy or navel. With coaxing, my mother was allowed to very gentle wash her tummy, and ( I know this is yucky, but might be relevent ! ) around her navel was an odourless pale crusting. They had it anyalised and found it to be sweat.

I only thought it might be a slight nipple discharge from the size of gentailia and nipples, thus a hormone imbalance, and from the colour...like lactose in milk !!!

Let me know how the spaying goes. I think, for now, I´ll leave her be, even though she cannot be housed in the same pen as the other two piggies, their cages are next to each other, so she has company. She´s just too aggressive to be with another piggie. I´d appreciate knowing if it´s helped calm your little one down. Thanks !!!

Peace, Love, and Happiness, Always
Sonia

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 05, 2002 12:16 pm

She also has hairloss that is becoming more prominent on the sides of her stomache (a recent occurance). I think I saw her pull it out once -- it could be the bilateral hairloss that is described by some people whose pigs have ovarian cysts is self induced (itchiness, irritation). I´ll be getting things ready this afternoon.

lisam

Post   » Tue Feb 05, 2002 5:16 pm

Amidala had her stitches taken out today. Actually, I should say stitch, because she had taken out the others on her own. I was going to take this one out, but it kind of pulled, and I chickened out.

Besides pulling out the stitches, she did kind of gnaw on the incision a little the day after the spay, but it scabbed right over and I had no problems with it bleeding or becoming infected. I kept her on towels until today, and she now is back into her cage with her old cage mate. She actually seems to have settled down somewhat already--no more trying to mount her friend constantly.

Good luck tomorrow!

lisam

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:16 pm

Lynx, how did it go today?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:39 pm

She made it out of surgery okay and is now at home. Not eating much at all. I´m going to be feeding her pretty soon. I had them give her a pain killer after the surgery but I think she is still hurting. Oh, and she had ovarian cysts. Big ones, I´m told. The vet let me take some pics -- I haven´t looked at them yet -- don´t know if they will be apropriate to post on here or not but will put up the one I took of her cyst next to a dime.

imanut4u

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2002 8:06 am

You are a crazy ol woman aren´t you? Move Doctor, I want a picture of that!

Glad Snowflake is home and I hope she feels like her ol´ self again soon.