Crusty nipples -- whitish deposit

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 6:01 pm

Hey, I just noticed Snowflake is losing a bunch of hair. Or it seems like it anyway (got hair all over me). How is Amidala?

lisam

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 7:42 pm

She looks like she is gaining weight, I haven´t weighed her yet this week. It looks as though the hair loss has stopped. She doesn´t have any bald spots, but her hair is so thin that you can see her skin.

Has anyone else´s pig had hair loss after a spay?

Sonia

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:57 pm

A friend of mine had hair loss, on her piggie, after it was spayed, but it stopped after about a 10 days.

I called the Cambridge Cavy Society, who said it is uneccessary if there is no suffering in the piggie, but they would do the operation, if ´I´ thought it were absoloutely neccessary, for the benefit and well-being of my herd. In other words, they were really no help at all. They do, however, recommend spaying of other rodents, such as rats and rabbits, and they do say that a vast number of older female rodents, such as Guinea pigs, develop Pyometrey(sp?), or some other infection of the Uterus and Womb, at the later stages in their lives. I put the phone down feeling even more confused than ever, as they´d basically contradicted themselves. It is an expensive ( not that the money is an issue here ! ), and heavy procedure, and I´m not so sure about the negative effects, if any, that are resulting from spaying. I have heard, can´t remember where from though, that spaying can lead to Urine infections, and bladder problems. I´m not trying to worry anyone, but it´s just stuff I´ve heard in the past day or two. Does anyone know the downsides to spaying. The other side of it is that, as I have said before, she is healthy now, and what if surgery goes wong, or there are complications as a result of surgery that will leave her with problems. My family generally live by the " If it ain´t broke, Don´t fix it ! " rule, so thinking about this just gets my Dad in particular, so riled up. I hate these sort of decisions. Whatever way I go with this, is one that will be fraught with risks.

I am so glad your little piggie is doing well, Lynx. You must be very relieved. How long was it before your Snowflake seemed ´back to normal´ inspite of the hairloss ?
Has her behaviour changed noticably ? Anyway, as I said, I´m really pleased that she´s doing well.

Peace, Love, and Happiness, Always
Sonia

my2piggies

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 10:42 am

Glad to hear everyone piggies are doing fine.

Marcy has a large bald spot on her the top of her back now, she had been treated for mites and ringworm but no sign of improvement or regrowth, and she has no bi-lateral hairloss to go with the other cyst symptons. It has got the vet confused although he still thinks it could be linked to the cysts. The skin doesn´t look red or strange or anything. It´s just skin with no hair.

I noticed this morning she also has a spur-like growth on her foot. It just looks like a flap of skin growing off the side of her foot. I have just read that Snowflake also has this Lynx (and is your only pig that does?)

Anyway what sort of age do pigs generally get these cysts or can it be any age. According to the ages we were given when we got them she should be between 2 1/2 and 3 years old but I´ve always suspected (gut feeling/intuition or something) that they were older. Could cysts be a sign that they are older?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 11:32 am

I don´t really know. I think it is probably a mistake to say they would get them between 2 1/2 and 3 years -- I am sure there are exceptions to the rule. What you are seeing on your pig´s foot is just calloused, dead skin. If it looks like it could catch on something, it could be carefully clipped off. I wouldn´t do it to close to the foot. You want to make sure there would be no bleeding.

The hair loss still sounds like mites -- that is, assuming you are providing a good diet and nothing else suspicious is going on.

Snowflake is still top pig, grumbling around. Not entirely as aggressive but enough to make Nina whimper now and again. Nina is a real weinie though. More than any pig, you´d think I tortured her the way she carries on when I pick her up and pet her.

my2piggies

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:11 pm

Sorry I have just reread my post and I think I wasn´t very clear. I meant according to the ages the sanctuary gave us when we got the pigs, the pigs should be 2 1/2 - 3, not they should be 2 1/2 - 3 because they got cysts.

She has had 3 shots of ivermectin (sp?), the vet did a skin scrap but found nothing but he does admits thats doesn´t prove anything. Her diet is good, (she eats better than me). She is hardly scratching either, no more than what I would consider normal every scratches.

Nina sounds just like Suzy, such a big baby, she is 10% heavier than Marcy and she´s the one that used to run away!

lisam

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:57 pm

ttt for sonia

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Mar 23, 2002 7:46 pm

Update on Snowflake.

Her incision healed great (I didn´t always feel that way). She still is a dominant pig, rumbling around but no longer mounts the other two girls. Before the surgery, she had lost a couple large patches on her sides and experienced general thinning; after surgery, more hairloss. Now she has bushed out with lots of new hair everywhere. Her sides are fully haired and of course the area that was shaved for the surgery has all grown back. I´ve actually never seen her hair thicker.

She´s put on an ounce or two since her surgery and seems healthy and happy.

I think guinea pig surgeries are stressful for the pig and owner (and of course, you have to deal with recovery, pain, medications etc.). At least in my case I´m glad it turned out okay.

lisam

Post   » Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:21 pm

Yes, mine too. Amidala has gone back to that adventurous fun pig she used to, before she was so ruled by hormones. She also experienced hair loss, but it has all grown back so nicely. She has yet to gain back all the weight she lost.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:56 pm

Fortunately, I don´t think Snowflake really lost much weight. Don´t forget the reproductive organs and large cysts would have added slightly to her weight so she may never get back to where she was. Did Amidala lose much weight? At least it sounds like she is feeling fine.

my2piggies

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:34 am

Glad to hear Snowflake and Amidala are doing so well.
Its encouraging to hear about good recoveries, especially as I finally made a decision on Marcy, she is getting spayed on Thursday

my2piggies

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 11:54 am

Marcy turned out to have a csytic ovary and the vet also said she thought her cervix looked abnormal. Larger/thicker than usual but she wasn´t sure whether it might just have been like that if Marcy was in heat at the time of the op.

Anyway she is having to be fed occasionally although she is looking a bit more lively on her own now.

I am just grateful to everyone who has posted on this and other recent threads about what they´ve gone through (especially Sonias "What is a" thread for feeding info etc.). Without others experiences to read up on I think my hair would´ve turned grey over the last 24 hours!

pigpal

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 12:06 pm

Yes, it´s like a blow by blow manual for survivng a spay procedure!

How did your vet close Marcy´s incision? Glue, sutures or what?

I hope she has a smooth and uneventful recovery.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 12:28 pm

Are you getting antibiotics? I tried to handle Snowflake as little as possible, used a stricted area so she would not pull her incision. I rigged up a double box that she would walk into and then I´d lift her out of the place she was living, slide the inner box out and feed her. I could avoid picking her up this way, as she really struggled and gave me a terrible time.

my2piggies

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:30 am

The vet used dissolvable stitches
She is on Baytril and I have Meloxicam (sp?) for pain relief.
That sound like a great system for picking her up Lynx. I have developed a technique involving wrapping a towel round the hand that goes under her and scooping her up. That probably sounds worse that it should. It means i have the towel already in place to feed her burrito wrapped style. I tried it without, and i need more hands, We both seem happier with the wrapping.

She is eating reasonably well but doesn´t seem to be pooing much for what she is eating. I have noticed she seems to be producing mainly soft poops that she is eating again. I am abit worried she might be constipated. I have given her some dandilion leaves and water from the syringe as she doesn´t seem to be as interested in her water bottle as she should be.

The vet also gave me a supplement. Here are the ingrediants
Alfalfa
Oatfeed
Wheat
Wheatfeed
Soya Extract
Peas
Milk Powder
Synthetic cellulose
Sugar beet pulp
Casein
Anise
Funegreek
Probiotic Vitamins and Minerals

Sonia

Post   » Sun Mar 31, 2002 12:31 pm

What the supplement called ? Is it Critical Care by Oxbrow ?

Bramble´s output was reduced somewhat after surgery, and those she pu tout, where small and dark originally ( a sign of dehydration ! ) but then after amounts of grass she started going to the other extreme and produced soft droppings that were not pellet shaped. I restricted the amount of grass, but Lynx and Pinta told me to keep feeding grass. It helped and her droppings are more pellet like now. So keep feeding grass if she´ll take it, and if you can get it without pesticides. Good Luck, I´m thinking of you !

Sonia

my2piggies

Post   » Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:32 pm

Thanks Sonia, I have been following your "What is a " thread very closely and following the advice on there. It has been so helpful.

It called Supreme Recovery (thats what the prescription label says anyway). I prepared the mixture and was trying the get it into the syringe. Marcy was on my knee already at the time, she must have smelt it, she reached over to it tipped the bowl on its side, stuck her head in and started licking the mixture straight out of the bowl. Talk about making the slave feel un-needed lol.

I continued giving her grass and dandilion leaves (useful advice from pinta) as they were the only veggie type thing she would eat. I kept a close eye on the poops and they have stayed solid and are slowly getting larger and more frequent. I am running out of garden and dandilions, and to think i nearly got rid of all the weeds last weekend!! She is eating plenty of hay but strangely she is going for the drier browner stuff and leavng the greener stuff that she normally goes for. Oh well as long as she keeps eating something.

Occasionally she decides she fancies a bit of lettuce and will eat only lettuce, or another time it will be only tomato she eats. I have to take a piece of everything in to see what she goes for, then run back and get more of just that one thing.

I am seeing constant improvements all the time, today she ate her pellets on her own for the first time. Thats was good to see. Poops are nearly at normal size and frequency.
I have to admit she really has been a very good patient, I was expecting it to be alot harder than it has been especially after the 1st 24 hours but then things really picked up.

I am not letting down my guard yet, we still have a way to go but things are looking promising.
Last edited by my2piggies on Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sonia

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:47 am

I am so relieved for you and Macey !!! Isn´t it a relief, when they show signs of improvement...talk about a huge sigh of relief, even if you are still watching them carefully !!!

I have to admit that I found Piggie picking at the drier browner hay too. I wonder why that is. Maybe it´s crunchier and more brittle so they don´t have to chew quite so hard. Keep weighing her though and it sounds like you are doing the right thing with the all the tempting. Well done, the pair of you !!!

Sonia

my2piggies

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:17 pm

Thanks Sonia, she had a check up today. She is doing very well, she has put on weight since the vet weighed her on Friday morning which is great. She did lose abit over the weekend but seems to have put it back on again. Today is amazing, I thought she was doing well before but today she finally got really really stuck into the pellets and starting eating more variety of veggies.

I had been considering making towels a permanent bedding feature, so much less mess than shavings but after todays poop output I am having second thoughts - I can´t keep up :D

Best wishes to you and Piggie and Bramble

99 posts