Daphne's Medical Thread

Zaphy

Post   » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:52 pm

Daphne is an almost 2 month old female pig, 250g. Acquired her recently and it looks like she's got some form of cheilitis. Now, I don't see any inflammation around the area and it definitely doesn't look as gross as the examples on the cheilitis page but there's definitely something there- maybe either the beginning or end stages? Sorry the pic is pretty blurry. I don't have a great close range focus on this new phone.

Anyway, I was wondering about the effectiveness of antibiotic/antifungal ointment for such a little pig. So long as I'm being very sparing with the application, should it still be ok on her little digestive system? Or are there better alternative treatments I could look into?

Kimera

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:48 am

It looks much more like fungus than other infection, so antibiotic would be counterindicated. At such early stage, and at such early age of the patient, I would suggest just gently washing off the crust. If there is any lesion underneath, it could be treated with some gentle disinfectant.
Guinea pigs are very prone to fungal infections, but happily, most resolve with good diet, hygiene and a little TLC.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:33 am

Ditto on the possible fungus. Perhaps a topical yeast infection (yeast is a fungus).

Would you like your pic added permanently to your thread?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:54 am

I'd get one of the antifungal ointments -- nystatin, lotrimin, monistat, etc -- and apply sparingly with a q-tip and rub in well.

Zaphy

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:48 am

Oh good- I don't have much experience with topical infections but i was guessing fungal as well so i put the tiniest amount of antifungal cream on it last night and rubbed in coconut oil on top of that. Some of the crusties seem to have fallen off overnight and it looks pretty good underneath so far.

And for my own future reference, so I don't forget- her (and her sister's) DOB is 10/6.

[edit] Also, thank you all for the help! And sure, it's ok to add the pic permanently :)

Zaphy

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:36 pm

Hmmm. She's got some dandruff on her rump- not sure how to go about potentially trying to treat that since there's no hair loss and the fur (Texel, I think) is quite thick. Wait and see if it resolves on its own? Maybe just rub in some coconut oil? She's too little for shampooing, and any product is going to also sit in the hair if I apply enough to get down to the skin.

There's no itchiness so I don't suspect mites (if anything I would assume more fungus given the stuff on her mouth) but I know ivermectin is often suggested as a "just in case" treatment anyway. She ought to be big enough for that in a week or so. I just hate to not do anything and prefer to nip things in the bud when I can... Thoughts?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:20 pm

The coconut oil might be soothing.

Zaphy

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:24 pm

I'll start off trying that, then. Thank you!

Another question: is there, like... a best way to apply it? I feel bad getting her fur all oily. Not sure if that'll bother her or not? Anyone with experience with furred pigs with dry skin?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:31 pm

I would go for the most problematic area and just be gentle. I think the oil would benefit the coat too.

9 posts • Page 1 of 1