Flake is not eating + injured foot

User avatar
Atomicoxy

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:13 pm


Hello, it's me again, I recorded Flake trying to eat, look at the difficulty he has to eat.



Sometimes he gets it right and eats, if I try to help him he stops and don't try anymore...

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:33 pm


Can you post a picture of his front teeth, with both tops and bottoms in the picture?

Also, have you tried cutting things into long slivers and pushing them in his mouth back to his molars?

User avatar
Atomicoxy

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:55 pm


bpatters wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:33 pm
Can you post a picture of his front teeth, with both tops and bottoms in the picture?
Image
The quality is bad, it's hard to take this photo.
bpatters wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:33 pm
Also, have you tried cutting things into long slivers and pushing them in his mouth back to his molars?
I tried, but he don't eat.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:37 pm


All the green vegetable staining make it look like he is having a difficult time eating. The teeth actually look too long to me. Can he close his mouth completely? Does it look like the teeth are touching the roof of the mouth?

Look at what one guinea pig looks like:
http://www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html

I am sorry he's having a difficult time eating.

User avatar
Atomicoxy

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:31 pm


Lynx wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:37 pm
All the green vegetable staining make it look like he is having a difficult time eating. The teeth actually look too long to me. Can he close his mouth completely? Does it look like the teeth are touching the roof of the mouth?

Look at what one guinea pig looks like:
http://www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html

I am sorry he's having a difficult time eating.
The teeth was too short after the surgery, you can see in my previous posts. Yes, he can close his mouth, those teeth don't seems to be bothering him.

User avatar
Atomicoxy

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:32 pm


I noticed like a week ago that Flake is 'hooting', so maybe there is also a heart problem, he wasn't hooting before the surgery, maybe it was one of the medicines? I guess the Tramadol. Also you were asking for a larger image of his teeth x-ray, I managed to zoom a bit but I still have no idea if he has elongated roots, vet said she was looking at the x-ray again, but I had not response at this moment.

Image

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:27 pm


That image is much better.

User avatar
Atomicoxy

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:07 pm


Any guess if he have elongated roots?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:26 pm


I'm not a radiologist, but it looks to me as if he does.

User avatar
Atomicoxy

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:37 pm


bpatters wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:26 pm
I'm not a radiologist, but it looks to me as if he does.
I'm still waiting the vet response, I really hope it's not elongated roots...

About the hooting, I'm not sure if it's what I'm hearing, but it's like his grumble is thicker, and sometimes when he's chewing food a sound like a snore comes out...

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:21 pm


Are his eyes watery? If the roots were elongated, it would be the rear molars.

User avatar
Atomicoxy

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:33 pm


Lynx wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:21 pm
Are his eyes watery? If the roots were elongated, it would be the rear molars.
I'm not sure if it's watery, but it has some crust and when he cleans it he loses some hair.
Image
This is the 'worst' eye.

Image
This is better.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:46 pm


Look from above to see if the eyes appear symmetric or if one or both appear to be protrude more than a normal guinea pig. I believe that sometimes upper elongated roots can push on the eye so it appears to protrude and might contribute to the eyes being more watery. A veterinary dentist would be the best person to evaluate xrays to determine if there was any elongation. Watery eyes can be associated with other illnesses too.

If your vet thinks root elongation could be a possibility, he might want to consult with a veterinary dentist to get a second opinion (your vet could send him or her their xrays). The Academy of Veterinary Dentistry :
http://www.avdonline.org/

Dr. Legendre is well respected on this board.

User avatar
Atomicoxy

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:14 pm


Lynx wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:46 pm
Look from above to see if the eyes appear symmetric or if one or both appear to be protrude more than a normal guinea pig. I believe that sometimes upper elongated roots can push on the eye so it appears to protrude and might contribute to the eyes being more watery. A veterinary dentist would be the best person to evaluate xrays to determine if there was any elongation. Watery eyes can be associated with other illnesses too.

If your vet thinks root elongation could be a possibility, he might want to consult with a veterinary dentist to get a second opinion (your vet could send him or her their xrays). The Academy of Veterinary Dentistry :
http://www.avdonline.org/

Dr. Legendre is well respected on this board.
It looks like his left eyes is a bit more protrude when he gets that 'scared' eyes, but when he is relax/normal there is no difference.

About sending them Flake's x-ray, I'm not sure if it's possible as I'm from Brazil, is there a cost? Only my vet can send it? Can I do it myself as my vet seems to be busy sometimes...

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:13 pm


Only your vet could contact another vet for a second opinion. I actually do not know anything about how this is done (cost). Perhaps Pinta (who has worked with Dr. Legendre for a long time - bringing her guinea pigs to him) might have some idea.

If the eyes are the same size, not bulging, it is less likely the upper molars are elongated.

Post Reply
55 posts