Preventative Spay?

zygote

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:40 am

I just got a call that she took a sudden downturn this morning. Her breathing is labored and her lungs sound wet. They gave antibiotics, but said there is likely an underlying issue and she might not make it. I’m on my way there now. I’m not sure what else they can do. I knew this could happen but I’m devastated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:53 am

Oh, I am sorry to hear this. Hoping for the best.

zygote

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:03 am

We got here too late. She just passed away.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:11 am

Oh zygote! I'm so sorry.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:17 am

Oh no! I am so sorry.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:14 pm

I'm so sorry.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:16 pm

Oh, I am so sorry. You have all our sympathy.

piggylover49

Post   » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:25 am

I’m really sorry you lost her, zygote.

zygote

Post   » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:44 pm

Thank you all so much. <3

We decided to do a necropsy because I wanted to know why she took such a sudden downturn when she was eating well, etc. Cancer? Infection? Aspiration of something? Defect?

Supposedly her heart and lungs did not look normal. They sent the tissue for biopsy and the vet will tell us more once the results are back. So we are closer to having an answer.

Half of me is relieved to find out it looks like she just had a bad heart and lungs and there was nothing we could have done, and half of me is devastated that I didn’t know going into the surgery. I never would have done it.

rjespicer

Post   » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Sorry to hear you lost her zygote.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:00 pm

I think often the vet wants to find out what happened too.

I hope the results from the necropsy are helpful to you.

zygote

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:41 pm

The pathology reports finally came back. She had a pulmonary adenoma (a benign lung tumor) with chronic inflammation, as well as the beginnings of degenerative heart disease. It seems like it wasn't bad enough to show up clinically under normal circumstances (so she was cleared for surgery), but her heart and lungs couldn't handle the stress of anesthesia. While it still hurts that she is gone now, I keep telling myself I'm glad she didn't have to suffer a slow decline between her heart, lungs, and reproductive system.

Nothing can bring her back, but I have learned that, for me, I want to a) perform preventative spays as soon as I get future guinea pigs, while they are young enough that things like lung and heart disease haven't had time to develop and b) push for more tests before any surgery (chest X-ray, perhaps) so I can make a more informed decision about the risks of that vs. palliative care. Maybe these things wouldn't have made a difference for her - my gut always told me she was fragile and that's why we didn't spay her when she was young. It's impossible to say.

Anyway, thank you all for responding to my thread and helping me process this roller coaster of health issues with my pig. I miss her very much.