Guinea pig not eating after dental trimming and bloating

perceneige

Post   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice for my 4 years old Astérix: he has been through a series of medical issues over the last month (3x bloating, cyst removal, dental trimming...) and I have been force feeding him since then (mostly critical care with a bit of Emeraid as he is not a big fan of the tast of critical care). He has been on different antibiotics, meloxicam, tramadol and is now taking emeprid and bruprenorphine.

The thing is, at the moment, he continues not to eat on his own (it has been over a week since he had his teeth trimmed) and the vet finds no more medical reasons for that. He doesn't eat hay or pellets and he only gives a few bites on veggies (mostly cucumber, on others he shows interest but that's all). If I put something on his mouth, he chews and chews and eventually throws it out. The vet thinks that he might have gotten used to having me feeding him and enjoys the time we spend together due to that so perhaps he needs to be reeducated to eat again on his own. I was wondering if any of you experienced this before with one of your piggies and if you have any advice on how to convince him to eat again. He lost his lifelong mate last July but he was fine after that.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:13 pm

Either of those drugs can affect the appetite. If it's been a week since his teeth were trimmed, why is he still on them? Especially the buprenorphine -- it can really zonk a pig out.

If he spits the food out, you're not getting it far enough back in his mouth. If you get back to his molars, he'll chew and swallow it. See http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html. You may find it easier to use larger syringes than one cc, but they do work very well for uncooperative pigs.

perceneige

Post   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:22 pm

thanks a lot :) we went back to the vet a few days ago and he was a bit bloated again so we re-started emeprid. The other one was prescribed for more than a week after his dental work so I kept giving it to him.

I will check the hand feeding link and try it. I was just afraid of pushing it to far into his mouth and that he would choke on it, this happens only when I try to feed him small pieces of pellets, hay or veggies, the critical care is not a problem, he chews and swallows it.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:56 pm

4 posts • Page 1 of 1