Worried About Dosage?

Tangle

Post   » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:24 pm

I have a guinea pig called Tuftles, my other Guinea Roro scratched her eye.

I've taken her to the vet and the vet prescribed eye-drops and gave her a painkiller in the form of an injection.

I take her for a check-up today and say that since the painkiller shot wore off she's been eating less than usual. She gives her another shot and sends me home with baytril and a cat med called metacam.

She recommends that I give Tuftles, who weighs 715g .4ml metacam orally once daily after today's painkiller wears off.

What worries me is the overdose section, which says: "Meloxicam has a narrow therapeutic safety margin in cats and clinical signs of overdose may be seen at relatively small overdose levels"

Should I give it at the same dose the vet recommended?

The product is:
Metacam
0.5mg/ml
oral suspension for cats.

I have until tomorrow to decide... She's much happier and less sore after the painkiller injection and when it wears off, she's not as hungry and complains quite a bit.

She's 9 months old.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:13 pm

Look over www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html to get some idea of what you are giving.

Have you read www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html ? What eye drops were prescribed? Creams seem to stay in the eye better than drops, in case the eye looks dry or she has any problem blinking.

Tangle

Post   » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:50 am

We got exocin (ofloxacin) for her eyes but it barely stays in. I'll mention the cream on the Thursday vet appointment.

The vet thinks she may never regain her sight again, even though I took her in the second I saw her eye. Looks like this eye is a long-term thing. It's white on the pupil and reddish-pink on the other areas of her eye.

I'm a student and her vet bill is costing 54 euro, I've already payed 30 of it. I'm putting some money aside out of my Christmas money in case she needs her eye removed.

She's lucky I love my guinea pigs more than everything in the world. I know most other 16 (almost 17) year olds wouldn't have an issue giving away a pet if it cost too much.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:23 am

I believe the primary danger of drops vs. ointments has to do with the drying of the eye due to not being able to blink. As I mentioned, the cream will stay in better and perhaps provide more protection if you are seeing drying of the eye.

Some cloudiness is due to cataracts. Do look over this page and follow up on injuries and various conditions so you can see how serious they can be and how well a guinea pig can recover from a scratch (the eye is resilient).
http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=77

Tangle

Post   » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:53 pm

I've looked at the images, they look nothing like her eye

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Can you take a clear crisp picture? I can post it for you if you do.

Tangle

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:50 am

Ok, I'll take it later

7 posts • Page 1 of 1