My guinea pig seems off

SARA_CASTILLO00

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi i have two guinea pigs one male,Tito, and one female, Lilly, Tito has been with me for a longer time so he is pretty comfortable with me and the rest of my family and he is usually very happy and comes running towards my mom when she calls for him and he comes straight to the kitchen when he listens to the fridge door being open ,since the both of them are on the backyard all day long and they sleep in a cage inside the house. We were on a 6 day long trip so we had to take the piggies to a guy who was supposedly going to take care of them and i just went to pick them up and i am very worried because Tito seems to have lost a lot of weight i means it's not that you can see his bones but he 's always been very chubby and is now very skinny and he also seems to have an oily-like substance on his fur and has also been very off ,he is eating so thats good i guess but I'm still very worried i would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some kind of advice or tell me if i should be worried , I wanted to give you some bavkground story for example the fact that he is not used to being in the cage all day long ,he usually has a pretty large space to run around and also we feed him a lot of veggies throught the day

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:51 pm

Is the oily substance all over his fur, or only on his backside just above his tail?

A significant weight loss is always sufficient reason for a vet check up. I'd find an exotic vet and take him in for a check up. Don't use a small animal vet -- they're trained in the care of dogs and cats, not exotic pets, and some of them are completely ignorant of guinea pig care.

If he spends a lot of time outside, it's also very possible he's picked up some kind of intestinal parasite.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:37 am

I recommend seeing a vet right away too.

Look over www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html and read all the signs of illness.

There are a number of issues that can cause weight loss.

If the oiliness is all over the fur, examine closely to see if there are any signs of fungus.
www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

SARA_CASTILLO00

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:19 pm

It's mostly just at the back of his body and a little bit at the top of his head,is it possible that the weight loss may be due to the change in his diet?maybe he wasn't being feeded as much veggies as he was used to , but it was just a week so i don't really know what to think, i was thinking about giving him a bath and waiting a few more days to see if he's made any progress otherwise i will totally take him straight to the vet

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:07 pm

If the oiliness is just at his back, about where his tail would be if he had one, his grease gland probably just needs to be cleaned. You can do that by rubbing some coconut oil into it to soften the gunk, then shampooing it.

The best advice I can give you is to get a kitchen scale and weigh him regularly. That's the best piece of medical equipment for a guinea pig you can own. Otherwise, you don't know whether a gain or loss is significant. If you weigh weekly and record the weights, you'll be able to see trends that are either encouraging or worrisome.

SARA_CASTILLO00

Post   » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:19 pm

I already gave him a bath and since then he has been doing so much better and he's acting like himself again lately thank you all so much for your help I was really worried

6 posts • Page 1 of 1