Zyrtec's skin problem

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:10 pm

I hope additional ivermectin treatments help too!

Putting this here because I did not know what Atarax is:
Atarax (Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride): Side Effects, Interactions [... ] - RxList
https://www.rxlist.com/atarax-drug.htm
Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride Tablets USP, 10 mg, 25 mg and 50 mg contain the following inactive ingredients: anhydrous lactose, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, FD&C Yellow No. 6, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate 80 and titanium dioxide.

annelie

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:28 am

Hi everybody!
Im sorry for not updating in so long, but Zyrtec was not getting better and my original vet went on a leave, so I started a new investigation with a new vet that only accepts rodents as patients.

I prepared a chart for him with all previous treatments including a weight chart since he lost a lot of weight over xmas. This vet is lovely and she took the time to go through everything before starting the consult. This was good as she felt that all the recent steps of treating for parasites, antibiotic etc is what she also would have done.
Just to be sure regarding current status she ran haematology, glucose, liver and kidney values, as well as checked stool (parasites, float test, giardiasis, bacteria). All was ok (white blood count was within range but in her experience tad higher than usual). Heart, lungs and teeth were also checked and all was ok.
Since his stool was very soft and he was gassy we tried with a different probiotic, a drug to help intestinal mucosa and simethicone for gas (he just finished bactrim treatment with another vet). She also suspected that Z may be a particularly sensitive pig and that I should temporarily keep diet on pellets and hay to check for allergies.

Long story short (and many consults and visits to vet): Zyrtec is possibly allergic to pellets.

Interesting is that once the gas settled after removing pellets from diet it was possible to do an ultrasound. He has slightly enlarged kidneys with mineralisations, and with mineral deposit in bladder. His liver is inflamed and has a cyst. Peristalsis is increased and with a motility disorder.
He is on supplements for liver and kidneys at the moment while eliminating allergens.

All this sounds so bleak, BUT he is squeaking, sunbathing (window sun), eating, and drinking, happy little pig. Eventually we will sort all this out, and he will be the absolutely best pig he can be.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:15 am

Thanks for the update.
She also suspected that Z may be a particularly sensitive pig and that I should temporarily keep diet on pellets and hay to check for allergies.

Long story short...Zyrtec is possibly allergic to pellets.

Interesting is that once the gas settled after removing pellets from diet ...
Was one of the things above incorrect? How did you find him allergic to pellets while he was on them? What brand of pellets was he eating and what are the ingredients?

I am glad you now have such a thorough vet. I hope you can make some progress on this. Is he getting any fresh vegetables right now? Introduced one at a time to make sure an individual vegetable is not causing problems?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:27 am

If he's not getting pellets or veggies, be sure to supplement him with vitamin C. Just don't put it in his water bottle.

But yay for a thorough vet!

annelie

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:58 am

Lynx wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:15 am Was one of the things above incorrect? How did you find him allergic to pellets while he was on them? What brand of pellets was he eating and what are the ingredients?

I am glad you now have such a thorough vet. I hope you can make some progress on this. Is he getting any fresh vegetables right now? Introduced one at a time to make sure an individual vegetable is not causing problems?
I was a bit unclear. After he didn't improve after over a week without veggies I started to notice that he got slightly worse after eating pellets and then tested by omitting evening pellets, and he was slightly better next day. It improved further after 3 days without which was when we had our appointment at the vet.
He is not getting any veggies currently. I tried to give him cilantro, but he got insanely gassy. Im worried everything makes him gassy at this point due to inflamed intestine. (He IS keeping his weight, although he is only 800g)

The selection here in PL is quite different, but he was on Versele Laga Cavia complete for most his life and this was what he was eating in the above situation as well.
The vet then recommended Beaphar Nature which worked wonders, but he regressed back after 4 days (no change in diet or medications).
Now we will try Brit Animal (alfalfa based, Im sceptical but have to check if it works for him) and JR Farm grainless.

VL cavia complete: Poor info but vets here claim its good one (timothy, grasses and herbs 7%), fruit (elderberry 5%), minerals, seeds (linseed 2%), fructo-oligosaccharides (0.3%), calendula, yucca. Listed as grain free.

Beaphar Nature: (Timothy hay 49%, Herbal hay 10%, Chicory 5%, Inulin 0.2%, Yucca Schidigera 0.05%, Grapeseed extract 0.01%), Seeds, Vegetable Protein extracts, Fruit (Apple 5%), Minerals, Oils and fats, Yeast, Algae (Spirulina 0.01%).

Future plans:

Brit Animal: alfalfa, herbs (nettle, dandelion, plantain), corn, dried apples, wheat, carrot, rosehips, linseed, brewer´s yeast, Spirulina, paprika extract, mannan-oligosaccharides (75 mg/kg), fructo-oligosaccharides (50 mg/kg), milk thistle (50 mg/kg), Yucca schidigera extract (45 mg/kg).

JR Farm grainless complete: Alpine meadow grass (incl. timothy grass, foxtail, false oatgrass, cat grass, downy oatgrass, Kentucky bluegrass, red clover, meadow buttercup, sweet vernal grass, Yorkshire fog, yellow oatgrass, common vetch, hop clover, dandelion, ribwort, cowslip, shasta daisy, common daisy, greater burnet-saxifrage, meadowwort, parsnips, sorrel, germander speedwell, common hornweed, perennial ryegrass, soft brome, bird vetch, bush vetch, tridentate orchid, bulbous buttercup, yellow rattle, chervil, yarrow), pea flakes, broad bean flakes, carrots, parsnips, linseed, black onion seed, peppermint, nettle, lemon balm, beetroot, apple, fennel seed, dandelion (0.3%), chamomile.

Id gladly take advice regarding pellets to try. We are already ordering Orchard grass from the Hay Experts, so might as well order pellets from abroad too.

bpatters wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:27 am If he's not getting pellets or veggies, be sure to supplement him with vitamin C. Just don't put it in his water bottle.

But yay for a thorough vet!
Oh yes! I like her a lot, and so does Z!
He is currently getting cebion vit C via syringe (50mg) daily. He is such an easy pig to treat. If it comes in a syringe he will love it!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm

He doesn't actually require pellets. He can do fine on hay and veggies, if you can find some that he can eat. If he can't eat the veggies, you'll have to supplement some vitamins.

annelie

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:13 pm

bpatters wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm He doesn't actually require pellets. He can do fine on hay and veggies, if you can find some that he can eat. If he can't eat the veggies, you'll have to supplement some vitamins.
The issue is to find a variety for him to eat, partially due to lack of selection in shops, and partially because he gets a lot of calcium deposits from most (fresh and dry) herbs and lettuce. I do think that I will end up going pellet free, but for now I am hoping and just taking it his pace not to overwhelm his system. Ofc with supplements :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:55 pm

I don't know about "bulbous buttercup" but here, buttercup is a poisonous plant.

Some of the products have so many ingredients, I don't know if they are really there (and in what quantities) and what they do.

www.guinealynx.info/forages.html
www.guinealynx.info/forages_poisonous.html

annelie

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:04 pm

Lynx wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:55 pm I don't know about "bulbous buttercup" but here, buttercup is a poisonous plant.

Some of the products have so many ingredients, I don't know if they are really there (and in what quantities) and what they do.

www.guinealynx.info/forages.html
www.guinealynx.info/forages_poisonous.html
Thank you! I actually never realised they may put a poisonous plant in pellets! Wont be giving him JR grainless as there is no point in risking any irritations.

annelie

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:40 am

Z is improving and I am removing all pellets at the moment as this seems to work the best. I will instead focus on reintroducing greens. He got cilantro today (I prefer cilantro as it does not cause gritty urine for him) and he tolerates it well this time! Stool is much denser and with a darker color, shaped like tear drops.
Once I get some veggies into his diet safely (and with stable GI) I can try and see if he will tolerate any pellets. I think that it's possible that once he is more stable he may tolerate pellets that previously made him gassy.

annelie

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:49 am

Update

The day after cilantro (small amounts) his stomach completely crashed with bloat and tiny hard poops. It resolved with simethicone after 4h. He ate hay and drank insane amounts of water during the whole ordeal.

Nothing works. He improves for a day, max 2 and then falls back. Nothing is changed during the time of relapse. Hay only doesn't even really work.
Any suggestions are welcome!

Ill contact my vet to see if there is anything we can do but for now absolutely nothing really helped

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:24 pm

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear he is still having issues.

Have you thought of having his poops analysed to see if there is an overgrowth of the wrong kind of bacteria?

It might be worthwhile reading over this page:
www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html