I am concerned and have some questions.

Ashley0Gwangju

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:55 am

my Guinea pig started acting a little odd these past few nights. He sleeps next to my bed, and I have heard him make, like gargling noises? I'm not sure if that is how I should describe it... like there's a lot of saliva in his mouth? And he has been sneezing more frequently. So I thought that i should look into it, and I found this website and did a little research. I only found that his " symptoms" was sneezing. and I didn't find anything that talked about the noise I've been hearing. and as I was watching him today, I noticed that when he peed one time, he seemed like he was in pain? Like he was squeaking, and curling in a little bit. so I guess my questions are: is the noise I am hearing a sign that he is sick? and is he in pain when he pees? can I solve this with home remedies, or should I look into taking him to the vet? and also, his stomach seems large. it has always been large since I got him 1 1/2 years ago, I always just thought he was fat. could he be bloated?

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:21 am

See a decent vet asap, please. Sounds like multiple problems.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:04 am

Ditto pigjes. This sounds like multiple issues and you must see a vet. None of the possible/likely issues can be resolved at home.
www.guinealynx.info/uri.html
www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

Start weighing your guinea pig daily right now and be ready to hand feed. Let us know what the vet says (you need a vet).

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:26 am

He's not likely to be bloated unless he's looking and acting ill and is showing signs of digestive issues.

But the squeaking when peeing and pooping is a classic sign of a urinary tract stone, and the sneezing could be a URI. You need to see an exotic vet. Please don't waste time or money on a small animal (dog and cat) vet -- they're not trained in the care of exotic pets.

JX4

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:31 pm

If you don't have an exotic vet, there are vet recommendations on a thread on this site somewhere.

Ditto the vet -- you need to have seen ASAP.

Ashley0Gwangju

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:51 pm

okay I will look into if there is an exotic vet in my area. thank you so much! I really would not know what to do.... is a UTI and any other illnesses he may have fatal?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Guinea pigs can get very sick very quickly. It's never wise to wait on a vet visit if a pig has significant symptoms.

You can click on the Veterinarians link below to find an exotic vet in your area.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:53 pm

A URI can be fatal. Generally a UTI is not, although it can be terribly painful if not treated. Either way, you want to line up a vet quickly.

JX4

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:18 am

Since guinea pigs are prey animals, their instinct is to hide appearing ill until they literally cannot hide it anymore. And by then, they are closer to death than one would think. If you pig is appearing ill, it's better to get to a vet ASAP than to wait around and see if it resolves itself.

9 posts • Page 1 of 1