Can I store mixed Critical Care in the fridge?

gigicoco

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:56 pm

If I were to make a batch for a day (lets say, I mixed 1/2 a tablespoon of Critical Care with 1 tablespoon of water to make about 21ml of Critical Care mix) one morning, but I want to give it to my piggie in 5-6 doses (that same day) can i just store that large batch in the fridge just for that 1 day and go in to draw up 3 ml for each feeding? Or is that bad? I would throw it out by the end of the day. The bag says to make a fresh batch each feeding but I don't see how it would be possible to make such a small amount (I also have a dwarf hamster and gerbils which are both very small)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:59 pm

That sounds okay. To be most safe, you would have 5 syringes and draw each individual feeding, then put it back in the fridge. Clean the syringes for the next feeding. This way the syringes don't contaminate the food.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:51 pm

I always make up a batch for a day when I'm giving Critical Care. You'll have to dilute it some more each time, and be sure to warm it a bit in the microwave. Mine really don't like it cold.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:17 am

I make daily batches when a pig needs more than a few days of CC. Instead of just adding water, I make a veg (or a fruit juice even for non diabetic pigs) by mixing it in water with my blender. Each day a new type of vegs, that surely keeps them interested to be force fed for weeks. It stores well in the fridge.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1